Deactivate launchbar on repeating the activation shortcut

General discussions about LaunchBar
Jan

Deactivate launchbar on repeating the activation shortcut

Post by Jan » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:04 pm

I'd love a setting to deactivate launchbar on repeating the activation shortcut like in Quicksilver. Now I have to get my finger to the esc button to deactivate. I think adding an option to twice type the shortcut to activate-deactivate would be great. I think this won't interfere with keeping the first key from the keycombo active to browse through open apps with the second key. Thanks!

ludwigschubert
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ludwigschubert » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:41 pm

Hallo Jan,
I don't have an extensive solution, but you could always try hitting command+space+space(=activate the app switcher)+arrow up. releasing this combo should bring you back to your last active app, effectively the same as closing LaunchBar.
I know it uses two more keystrokes than desirable, but it works without the hard to reach esc-key :-)

I also tried adding a custom shortcut to "Hide LaunchBar", but apparently the command+space gets caught by LaunchBar.
So you still might want to file it as afeature request here.

I hope I got your question right,
Ludwig

norbert
Objective Development
Objective Development

Re: Deactivate launchbar on repeating the activation shortcu

Post by norbert » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:31 pm

Jan wrote:I'd love a setting to deactivate launchbar on repeating the activation shortcut

This would break LaunchBar's stateless design. Right now you can rely on the fact that pressing Command-Space will prepare LaunchBar to start a new search under all circumstances, regeardless if the bar is currently visible or not. I can blindly type Command-Space [S] to switch to Safari, even if LaunchBar is already active. This would then no longer be possible.
Jan wrote:Now I have to get my finger to the esc button to deactivate.

Note that you can also use Command-H or Command-period to dismiss the bar.

Dennis
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Deactivate launchbar on repeating the activation shortcu

Post by Dennis » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:33 pm

norbert wrote:
Jan wrote:I'd love a setting to deactivate launchbar on repeating the activation shortcut

This would break LaunchBar's stateless design. Right now you can rely on the fact that pressing Command-Space will prepare LaunchBar to start a new search under all circumstances, regeardless if the bar is currently visible or not. I can blindly type Command-Space [S] to switch to Safari, even if LaunchBar is already active. This would then no longer be possible.
Jan wrote:Now I have to get my finger to the esc button to deactivate.

Note that you can also use Command-H or Command-period to dismiss the bar.

This is a very good point, and I think the stateless design is more important than being able to dismiss LaunchBar with the activation key command. So I vote to leave things as they are.

This is a good example of how things sometimes appear simple to end users, but are hindered by complexities lurking beneath the surface. It's good to know that Objective Development has thoroughly thought these things out.

-Dennis

ludwigschubert
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ludwigschubert » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:42 pm

Yes, let's stick with Command-H then.
Didn't even know it was there :-)

Ludwig

mglb

Post by mglb » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:34 pm

Here's a workaround, if you so desire, using Quickeys.

Choose New Shortcut > Quickeys > Decision > Check for Application.
Select LaunchBar as your application and set 'State' dropdown menu to 'Is Front Most'.

Add Step > User Actions > Type Keystroke.
In the 'Keys' dropdown menu choose Additional > Escape as your keystroke.
Use Cmd Space as your hot key.

LaunchBar will then be dismissed via Cmd Space.
Press Cmd Space again to re-invoke.