Feature request: Option-Space for activation key combination

General discussions about LaunchBar
bgertzfield

Feature request: Option-Space for activation key combination

Post by bgertzfield » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:34 pm

Hi folks,

I've purchased LB 3 and upgraded to 4. Good software, but I'm constantly wishing I could use Option-Space instead of Command-Space or Control-Space to activate.

(I use Command-Space to toggle input languages, and Control-Space in Emacs -- yeah, I know I can change the input language toggle in System Preferences, but I have years of finger memory fighting me when I try that.)

I looked in at.obdev.LaunchBar4.plist, and it looks like ActivationKeycode is just either a positive ADB keycode to denote Command-(keycode), or a negative ADB keycode for Control-(keycode) -- I wish this was more hackable, so I could just modify the plist myself. :)

Is there any way I could put in a feature request to allow modifiers besides Command and Control to activate? A generic control like in System Preferences' Keyboard & Mouse -> Keyboard Shortcuts would be best, but failing that, just a dropdown containing Command, Option, Control would be fantastic.

Thanks!

Ben

norbert
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by norbert » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:27 am

LaunchBar currently doesn't offer any activation shortcuts that use the Option key, because this would conflict with the app-switcher functionality.

As you probably know, you can browse the list of running applications with Command-Space/Space/... (i.e. by holding down the Command key and pressing the Space bar repeatedly). As soon as you release the Command key, the selected application will become active.

If you press the Option key before releasing the Command key, all other applications will be hidden. And if you just tap the Option key while browsing the app list, you can suppress the auto-activation.

With an Option-Space keyboard shortcut, this functionality would no longer be accessible.

bgertzfield

Post by bgertzfield » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:15 pm

norbert wrote:LaunchBar currently doesn't offer any activation shortcuts that use the Option key, because this would conflict with the app-switcher functionality.

With an Option-Space keyboard shortcut, this functionality would no longer be accessible.

True! So how about a preference to swap the app-switcher modifier with the activation shortcut modifier?

Or, even better, customization for both the activation shortcut and the app-switcher modifier key. Probably wouldn't be too hard to implement.

kmnlbfor

Double Tapping Modifier Key to Invoke LaunchBar

Post by kmnlbfor » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:38 am

Ok, this an offshoot of the topic, I don't really want to bring Quicksilver into this, and it's merely something to think about...

Quicksilver has an option for invoking the command bar by double tapping on a modifier key (Shift, or Fn, or Ctrl, etc.)

I find this method to be even faster and easier than any combination of 2 keys together (Command + Space, Control + Space, etc.)