FSEvents and LaunchBar

General discussions about LaunchBar
vatic42

FSEvents and LaunchBar

Post by vatic42 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:37 am

Will LaunchBar be taking advantage of the FSEvents interface in leopard so that the index can be updated for files and folders immediately when they're changed? It seems kind of wasteful to have to set rescan intervals to have my ~/Documents index updated when this facility is available.

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:22 pm

I am also eager to see this feature. Or at least a way to have certain folders rescan when any of their subfolders change.

ludwigschubert
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ludwigschubert » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:03 pm

There is a preference in the configuration for every folder under Schedule called "Rescan automatically".
I guess it should free you from the burden of setting rescan intervals.

Bigger picture here :-)

Changes in files and folders won't be visible immediately, but the rescan will start immediately which should be quite fast.

For my downloads folder it usually works faster than it takes me to realise the download has completed - might take longer on your documents folder.

I would live to see 'real' FSEvent integration, though, too.

Maybe that helped you :-)

sincerely,
Ludwig

vatic42

Post by vatic42 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:23 pm

The folder modification date is only updated when a file or directory is added or removed immediately under the given folder, not when something is removed or added to a subfolder under that folder. This is a problem for me in places like my Documents folder. Utilizing FSEvents would remedy this issue.

FredSmith
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FredSmith » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:39 pm

I'd like to see this as well. Would save a lot of effort scanning because I've added a lot of stuff to a sub folder.

Is Launchbar still being enhanced, or is it just in maintenance/bug fix mode now?

ludwigschubert
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ludwigschubert » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:43 am

Usually when I submit a feature request here it still gets answered, so I'd think that LaunchBar is still being enhanced.

FredSmith
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FredSmith » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:02 pm

ludwigschubert wrote:Usually when I submit a feature request here it still gets answered, so I'd think that LaunchBar is still being enhanced.

Fair enough.

Does seem quite a while since we have seen a major update; though bug fixes are always welcome.

johndonne

Key Feature

Post by johndonne » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:54 pm

I am very interested in this feature and think it's perhaps one of the most important improvements that can be made to the usability of launchbar.

The key thing that fast and automatic updating brings is predictability: it makes it possible to know that if LaunchBar doesn't find something in a search then that object doesn't exist (or is somewhere where we definitely don't want LaunchBar to look). An example: bookmarks will automatically update, but it might take longer than it takes to activate LaunchBar. Say I was at a website that I thought I bookmarked but want to check to make sure. As it is now, asking LaunchBar about the site name might return the indexed bookmark (in which case I'm happy), or it might have indexed and return nothing (happy again), or it might not have indexed and return nothing (false negative). That third possibility needs to be eliminated.

Side comment: I wonder if obdev ever thought about licensing their search and ranking algorithms to Apple to make Spotlight more capable.

Nik
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Nik » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:35 pm

I never use rescan automatically as the only scan criteria. I'll have it both rescan periodically and automatically. That ensures that all changes are eventually reflected, but also gives me the convenience of an immediate re-scan in most cases.

sjk
Wizard
Wizard

Post by sjk » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:53 pm

Since this topic has been re-opened …

Can anyone confirm/deny FSEvents being used in LaunchBar 5? Doesn't appear to and there's no mention of it on the beta page, only this Bug Fixes and Improvements bullet point:

• Much improved compatibility with Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard.

DrSyn

Post by DrSyn » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:41 am

I would really like to see fsevent support similar to how spotlight works. If all the fs events are captured then rescanning will no longer be needed. Its way more efficient to simply hook into file creation/delettion events then having to scan the entire directory.. in fact I'm not even sure why a rescan would be needed if its already detecting the file event, just add/remove it to the existing db?

Athough on second throught I could see the need to rescan there may be file system events that happen when LB is not loaded... still I would expect you could simply schedule a weekly scan to take care of those very rare situations, no?

Could someone please clear this up?

FredSmith
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FredSmith » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:07 pm

I can't be 100% sure, but I've been playing around with it, and it looks as though it does use the file events.

I added a new rtf file, then went to LB and there it was. I deleted it, went straight to LB and it didn't show up.

Try it and see what you think.

sjk
Wizard
Wizard

Post by sjk » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:48 pm

I haven't found any indication that LB5 is using FSEvents. Still looking for a definite method to determine if apps do/don't, e.g. using DTrace.

DrSyn

Post by DrSyn » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:49 pm

I'm pretty sure it doesn't use fsevents, and if it does, its not using it in the most optmal way possible.

If you disable "update automically" in a folder and create a file it wont detect it.

The real issue is when update automatically is enabled, its probably only looking for a timestamp change on that folder. It then has to scan all the files... all this extra i/o would be unnecessary if it was using a hook into fsevent.

Once the file event happens, it should simply update the database accordingly. Why the scanning of all the dirs? This is what I would like to avoid.. all this extra i/o on any file operation is no good when I am running something that is realtime like Logic or Cubase.

norbert
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by norbert » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:02 pm

To end the speculations: LaunchBar does not (yet) use FSEvents.

The FSEvents API is only available in Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, so we cannot use it as long as we support Mac OS X 10.4.