Strange shell script behavior

General discussions about LaunchBar
bugmenot

Strange shell script behavior

Post by bugmenot » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:32 am

Hey everyone,

I'm relatively new at scripting, so my apologizes in advance if I don't explain this very well. I have a shell script that I launch from LaunchBar, but the odd thing is that LaunchBar behaves differently depending upon where the script is launched from. If the script is launched from any directory (other than ~/Library/Application Support/LaunchBar/Actions), then a Terminal window is opened and the script is visible as it runs. However, if I launch the same script is launched from ~/Library/Application Support/LaunchBar/Actions, then it runs, but it does so in the background and a Terminal window is not visible. In other words, there's no visible indication that the script is running.

Is this expected behavior? I'd like to have the shell script file in ~/Library/Application Support/LaunchBar/Actions and show the Terminal window as it runs, but if LaunchBar isn't designed this way, having the script file in another directory is an alternative, just not ideal. If anyone has any thoughts as to this peculiar behavior, I'd appreciate it.

(Incidentally, using a symbolic link, I have the contents of ~/Library/Application Support/LaunchBar/ point to a folder in Dropbox, to sync my LaunchBar settings between computers. I may be wrong, but I don't think it's causing this issue.)

Thanks!