[former-quicksilver-user] why does a top hit move up and down the list as I type it out?

General discussions about LaunchBar
jspiro

[former-quicksilver-user] why does a top hit move up and down the list as I type it out?

Post by jspiro » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:02 am

I've been using LaunchBar exclusively for a month after 10 years using Quicksilver. The fast database is amazing. It's met nearly all my needs perfectly, except for it's core purpose: Opening things. Case in point: I open Messages.app probably 50 times a day.

• So I type 'm' and Messages is first. Awesome. But I sometimes keep typing the name depending on where my head is...
  • I continue with 'me' and something completely different that I've never opened is on top. Messages is nowhere to be seen on this list.
  • I type 'mes' and Messages is first again. Good.
  • I type 'mess' and something completely different that I've never opened is on top. Messages is nowhere to be seen on this list.
  • ... and so on through 'messages' -- Messages.app never shows up on the list again even though I open it constantly.

This happens with everything. The list changes rapidly and dramatically as I fully type the name of the thing I want. I sometimes have to type e.g. exactly 4 letters of the name of the app, but not 3, or 5, to get it to show up on top.

I really shouldn't have to create an abbreviation for every combination, nor sub-search for it for every combination I've tried.

And though I dislike how simplistic the Spotlight ordering is (e.g. Apps first, then documents), I'd kill for at least a little control over default ordering since it appears completely random -- or at least always make apps show up first if a top hit isn't found. Most people probably open apps the most often and I shouldn't get some obscure directory with the same name that's 10 levels deep in Library first when there's an App with that exact name. (Nor should I have to exclude that directory just to discourage it from appearing.)

LaunchBar has come a long way over the years. It's nearly a perfect replacement for me :-)

ratty
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: [former-quicksilver-user] why does a top hit move up and down the list as I type it out?

Post by ratty » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:57 pm

You can't have any control over ordering, otherwise it won't be able to fully learn your habits. May I suggest Alfred for you, it's more QuickSilver like?

jspiro

Re: [former-quicksilver-user] why does a top hit move up and down the list as I type it out?

Post by jspiro » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:10 am

I'm not asking for control of ordering -- I'm asking for the learning to actually work. It recommends file names that have nothing to do with what I am typing, and doesn't prioritize files I open literally dozens of times per day.

What I have noticed, more specifically, is that it seems to show me the right files when I type either one letter, or three. After three characters, even if I type the *exact* name of the file, it will give me a long list of files I've never opened before instead of the one I open constantly.

It doesn't seem to learn at all, so far as I can tell. If it does, there's either a bug somewhere or a setting I haven't found. I don't know why typing a more specific name makes it show me less relevant files *every time*.

ratty
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ratty » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:14 pm

Have you read the LaunchBar Help? I'm sure it'll clear all your doubts. I understand the confusion you're having, I had same issue when I started using LB. LB was never made to type full-names of files/items, Abbreviations are the an integrate part of the workflow.

jspiro

Post by jspiro » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:57 am

Well, this forum post has not panned out for me -- no comment from the creators. It's time to dump LaunchBar.

It does EVERYTHING really well, except the most critical of things that is the whole point of the product -- finding things you find frequently using the way you find them as a hint. If Quicksilver had the database speed, LaunchBar would have no edge to stand on.

Really disappointed. I guess I'll try it again in another few years, just like the last time... :x