LB doesn't use 'Natural' scrolling

General discussions about LaunchBar
norbert
Objective Development
Objective Development

Re: LB doesn't use 'Natural' scrolling

Postby norbert » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:19 pm

lmartins wrote:I still think that what we see in other apps, where the selection is static and the list moves underneath it's easier to understand.

But in short lists scrolling would then have no effect at all. Try this: Press Command-R in LaunchBar to open the list of running applications. Right now you can use use the scroll gesture to quickly select an app from that list. With the standard scrolling behavior, nothing would happen.

LaunchBar's scrolling behavior is extremely efficient in combination with auto-ativation. For example, invoke LaunchBar's app-switcher with Command-Space,Space, keep the Command key pressed while using the scroll gesture to select the desired app, then release the Command-key to switch to that app.

Roller
Rank 1
Rank 1

Postby Roller » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:09 am

I agree. Launchbar's way of scrolling is more logical and practical for using the app.

Guntis

Postby Guntis » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:00 pm

Sorry, but when all other apps use "natural" scroling, this app behaves "unnaturally". And I always have to remember that in this app I need to scroll in the opposite direction. Please add checkbox to use "natural" scrolling, or better yet, turn it on by default. It's really annoying.

iRounak
Rank 4
Rank 4

Postby iRounak » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:30 pm

The terminal command fixes the PROBLEM. Thanks.

Guntis

Postby Guntis » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:23 pm

iRounak wrote:The terminal command fixes the PROBLEM. Thanks.

Could you please post it here?

iRounak
Rank 4
Rank 4

Postby iRounak » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:54 am

Code: Select all

defaults write at.obdev.LaunchBar NaturalScrolling YES

Guntis

Postby Guntis » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:02 pm

iRounak wrote:

Code: Select all

defaults write at.obdev.LaunchBar NaturalScrolling YES

Thank you!

m267

Postby m267 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:29 am

Yes, so much better now with Natural Scrolling. Thanks for the additional setting.

I can understand Obdev’s reasoning in favor of the “old” scrolling as being more natural; this is —in theory— true while speaking of the movement of the selection. But when we have some more hits than the window can display we are talking of window content scrolling again and this indeed was just awkward in LB5, with all the other apps and the Finder scrolling in the opposite (“Apple-natural”) direction.

Me personally I perceive even the movement of the selection as more natural now, although the finger is physically moving in the “wrong” direction. Strange.

chabig

Postby chabig » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:04 pm

lmartins wrote:Not sure it's be best solution though, it's like you're scrolling the selection instead of the list..

That's exactly what you're doing. It makes sense.

timothymh

Postby timothymh » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:47 pm

ObDev, I understand why you say scrolling the selection backwards isn't "natural". But I don't understand why scrolling the selection makes any sense at all! I want to scroll the list. If I want to change the selection, I'll click (my hand is already on the mouse, since I'm scrolling!) or use the arrow keys.
I just want an option to set it how I want. Still, please explain this choice of yours; it makes no sense to me. Why does scrolling change selection rather than doing what it does in literally every other application I have used in my entire life?

ptim
Rank 2
Rank 2

Postby ptim » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:08 am

Even though the UX is a little janky with NaturalScrolling enabled, it satisfies the principle of leat surprise for me.

I'd like to see two things:

- a checkbox in Prefs > General (it's that basic!)
- when natural scrolling is enabled, scrolling down the list should cause the selection to move down initially, then switch to scrolling the list itself once the cursor has moved down halfway through the list-display-length. Eg: I display 12 entries whilst browsing; move the list so that the cursor appears static and there are 5 items above and 6 items below the current selection.

My 2 bob :) Thanks for the defaults setting all the same

ptim
Rank 2
Rank 2

Postby ptim » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:40 pm

Thanks for the update!
Jun 24, 2017 LaunchBar 6.9 (6144)
https://www.obdev.at/products/launchbar ... notes.html

Hate to sound ungrateful, but the recent update is a bit of a backwards step for me... it's a small thing, but when scrolling a long list the new behaviour means:

- I can't see the selection (it gets scrolled offscreen)
- when i see the item i want, I need to actually click it, rather than just hit enter as before

The net effect of the update is that you can *view* the list with a scroll action, but the ability to *select* via scrolling has been removed..

Small thing, but a minor bummer, cos muscle memory, ya know :)

Is there a defaults command to reinstate the 'old' natural scrolling behaviour?

TIA, ptim

ptim
Rank 2
Rank 2

Postby ptim » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:47 am

bump.. came back hoping for a reply...

Return to “LaunchBar General”