Help Creating Workflow - Run Slogger (ruby)

Sharing and discussing custom actions for LaunchBar
skeskali

Help Creating Workflow - Run Slogger (ruby)

Postby skeskali » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:57 pm

I'm considering switching to LaunchBar from Alfred. In Alfred, I created a workflow to run Slogger, an application/ruby script that indexes various social services and creates individual Day One journal entries.

In Alfred, creating the workflow was pretty simple. I entered the command to run slogger from the command line and saved the script. But I can't figure out how to do this in Launchbar. I can tell LaunchBar to open a terminal from the Slogger directory, but I want to be able to trigger the workflow with a keyword. How can I do this in LaunchBar?

Thanks for the help!

xmanu

Re: Help Creating Workflow - Run Slogger (ruby)

Postby xmanu » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:59 pm

The newer versions of LaunchBar have the Action Editor (start by Cmd+Alt+E or from the menu). It simplifies writing actions and gives you a graphical interface for the most important settings.

I don't know Slogger, but there is an option for running ruby scripts.

Best,
xmanu

davemee
Rank 1
Rank 1

Postby davemee » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:09 pm

I have a shell script in my ~/.bin folder (on my path) called 'slogger' which then hands over to ruby to run the slogger script (which I've moved away into a dedicated directory).

As my .bin folder is part of my system-wide path, I can just pull slogger up (my shell-script version) from LaunchBar directly. Alternately, if you use the action editor, you should just be able to create a simple shell (or ruby) script directly in the LB editor which will run the slogger script directly.

If you use Slogger, you may find a combination of Moves.app (on iOS and Android) with "Ellie" for Node.JS a great way to import your moves and locations, as well.

davemee
Rank 1
Rank 1

Postby davemee » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:32 pm

skeskali wrote:In Alfred, creating the workflow was pretty simple. I entered the command to run slogger from the command line and saved the script. But I can't figure out how to do this in Launchbar. I can tell LaunchBar to open a terminal from the Slogger directory, but I want to be able to trigger the workflow with a keyword. How can I do this in LaunchBar?

I created a simple slogger action here - https://github.com/davemee/LaunchBarActionsFromDave

Once you've installed Slogger, open the Action Editor (⌥⌘E) and pick "Slogger" on the left. On the right, go to "Scripts", then by "Default Script" and "Shell Script" is a button that says "Edit". Click that to edit a bash script which is used to launch your local copy of slogger.

HTH! (That's generally all there is to the Action Editor, other than icons and user input)

skeskali

Postby skeskali » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:45 pm

This is great! Thank you so much, davemee!

Return to “LaunchBar Actions”