How to create .lbaction?

Sharing and discussing custom actions for LaunchBar
iRounak
Rank 4
Rank 4

How to create .lbaction?

Post by iRounak » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:47 am

How to create extensions? Is it possible to look at the code of sample actions downloaded from lb website?

norbert
Objective Development
Objective Development

Re: How to create .lbaction?

Post by norbert » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:00 am

iRounak wrote:How to create extensions? Is it possible to look at the code of sample actions downloaded from lb website?

Yes, that's the purpose of these sample actions ;-)

Just look inside the installed .lbaction file packages at ~/Library/Application Support/LaunchBar/Actions to explore their ingredients.

To navigate into these packages most conveniently, use the new Info Browsing feature of LaunchBar 6. Select one of the sample actions in LaunchBar, press Shift-Right to start Info Browsing which also shows you the underlying .lbaction package. Press Right Arrow once again to navigate into the package contents.

And of course, there's also the LaunchBar Actions Reference.

markovlife

Re: How to create .lbaction?

Post by markovlife » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:27 pm

While I agree that it might be obvious to someone who is experienced with development that — upon installing the sample actions — to look for where they were installed and then explore those files, however if this is the first time someone is trying to develop, it may not be obvious to them that, since they aren't able to look at the .lbext files directly (since they seemed to be in machine code (or at least strings of Hex Nibbles) when I opened them in SublimeText) that they should navigate to where their custom scripts will be stored (if they even knew to look there for them) in order to see the samples.

I've got some experience programming and I still needed to come to this forum to figure out how exactly to get started.

So I suppose that this is my request to ObDev to please improve the tutorial nature of your action extensions — currently its difficult even for someone with a bit of experience coding to figure out how to get started with a template based on your sample actions.