Open contact in Google Maps instead of Maps?

Sharing and discussing custom actions for LaunchBar
slacker781

Open contact in Google Maps instead of Maps?

Postby slacker781 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:15 am

According to this, I'm supposed to to hit Command-Control-Return to open a contact address in Google Maps:

https://www.obdev.at/resources/launchba ... tacts.html

but that just opens the default Maps for me.

slacker781

Re: Open contact in Google Maps instead of Maps?

Postby slacker781 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:04 am

Anyone?

Greg Jones
Rank 3
Rank 3

Postby Greg Jones » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:42 pm

The LaunchBar documentation was never updated for version 6, and while most of the version 5 help topics still apply, it would appear that the Google Maps shortcut went away. Assuming that you have the Google Maps search template turned on in the index, you can open the contact address in Google Maps by searching for the contact, hit the tab key*, then start typing 'Google Maps' to bring up the search.

*If the contact has more than one address, you will want to search for the contact, right-arrow, select the desired address from the list, hit the tab key, then start typing 'Google Maps' to bring up the search.

slacker781

Postby slacker781 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:05 am

Greg Jones wrote:The LaunchBar documentation was never updated for version 6, and while most of the version 5 help topics still apply, it would appear that the Google Maps shortcut went away. Assuming that you have the Google Maps search template turned on in the index, you can open the contact address in Google Maps by searching for the contact, hit the tab key*, then start typing 'Google Maps' to bring up the search.

*If the contact has more than one address, you will want to search for the contact, right-arrow, select the desired address from the list, hit the tab key, then start typing 'Google Maps' to bring up the search.

When I do that, it just does a generic search for the name I inputted.

For example, when I search for my friend, "Laura", in Launchbar, hit tab and start typing Google Maps to search, it just goes to this search string: https://www.google.com/maps?q=Laura which just produces a few businesses with the name, "Laura", and not the map of my friend's house.

Greg Jones
Rank 3
Rank 3

Postby Greg Jones » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:20 pm

I tried it on a couple of contacts yesterday before I posted and it worked fine. After reading your response, I tried it again with some other contacts and the results were all over the place. The search still worked with my original test contacts, but clearly what I suggested is not a reliable solution. Sorry for the bad info.

Personally, I now use LaunchBar's built-in support for the Maps.app, which I am happy with but I understand that many people still prefer using Google Maps.

slacker781

Postby slacker781 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:35 pm

Greg Jones wrote:I tried it on a couple of contacts yesterday before I posted and it worked fine. After reading your response, I tried it again with some other contacts and the results were all over the place. The search still worked with my original test contacts, but clearly what I suggested is not a reliable solution. Sorry for the bad info.

Personally, I now use LaunchBar's built-in support for the Maps.app, which I am happy with but I understand that many people still prefer using Google Maps.

I just find Google Maps' ETAs to be much more accurate. Thanks for trying.

Return to “LaunchBar Actions”