Stupid Question...But Vital!

Sharing and discussing custom actions for LaunchBar
rpminjax

Stupid Question...But Vital!

Postby rpminjax » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:46 pm

I've been using LaunchBar for several years, and absolutely love the convenience it provides...that is, when I can make it do what I want. Unfortunately, that doesn't happen with any consistency. (Maybe it's because I'm 80 years old?)

I'd be grateful if someone would give me a simple, step-by-step method for applying a custom abbreviation for a particular webpage I am on. Should be easy, right? But I sometimes spend a lot of time scrolling down through endless lists of *possible* hits after I deceive myself into thinking I set it up properly.

Enough whining. I'll shut up and wait for your "Step 1, Step 2" response. TIA!!!

davemee
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Stupid Question...But Vital!

Postby davemee » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:48 am

① Bring the item you want up in LaunchBar, by typing a few characters and using the cursor keys to highlight it in the list as you normally do (I type 'sabo' to bring up my Safari Bookmarks and browse from there)
② Press ⌥⌘A and type the abbreviation you want for it
③ Press ↩ to save the abbreviation

Don't forget the really useful shortcuts in LaunchBar - ⌘B to bring up a list of recent items you've used in LaunchBar, ⌘K to view your clipboard history, and ⌘G to make LaunchBar select whatever you have selected in Finder.

Happy new (solar) year!

rpminjax

Postby rpminjax » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:26 pm

Thank you for responding, Dave, but apparently my question wasn't clear. I want to know how to assign a LaunchBar abbreviation to a website when I am on that website. For example, now I am at <https://forums.obdev.at/posting.php?mode=reply&f=24&t=11178> and I want to set an abbreviation so that I can easily return to this page. What steps do I take to accomplish that?

Greg Jones
Rank 3
Rank 3

Postby Greg Jones » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:22 pm

You could use LaunchBar to find (assuming you are using Safari) Safari>History>'the web page you are currently viewing' and assign an abbreviation as @davemee mentioned. However, I expect as soon as your browser history is cleared, your reference to the page will be lost. You will need to bookmark the page or add the page to your Reading List (again, assuming you are using Safari) and assign an abbreviation if you want something more permanent.

rpminjax

Postby rpminjax » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:44 pm

Thanks, Greg. I think I've got it.

Return to “LaunchBar Actions”