Quit Action

Sharing and discussing custom actions for LaunchBar
Silent Bob IE

Quit Action

Post by Silent Bob IE » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:26 pm

Hi All,
I've been trying the Launchbar demo with a view to replacing quicksilver with it. And I have to say I am thoroughly impressed. However, I have one suggestion, when you search for an application e.g. safari and press tab some actions come up like "Open with Automator", is there anyway that a Quit option could be included, as its just second nature after a year of using quicksilver to hit "opt-space saf tab q enter" to close background apps.

Thanx a bunch
Bob

ludwigschubert
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ludwigschubert » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:25 pm

Hello Silent Bob IE!

I'm sorry to say that I don't have a solution to your problem, your "second nature", but there are different ways to close applications that I find even easier.

First, there's command(hold)+tab+(tab, tab, ...) + q to use Mac OS X's own app switcher and it's quit command. Verry fast, if you can get used to it. 8)

Then, there's also a LaunchBar way of quitting an application using not the native, but the LaunchBar app switcher: press and hold command, then tap spacebar twice. you see a list of active apps that can be navigated using the arrow-keys or the spacebar. Press q to quit the selected application.

Both ways are considerably faster than the quicksilver way, but it depends on you to learn those new "habits" :) - if you can't get used to them at all, I'd just recommend to keep QS, if you assign a different shortcut for LaunchBar they co-exist peacefully…

I hope that was of any help, and while I encourage you to ask Objective Development to add that feature if you want it (use their online form here), I wouldn't hope for it too much, as LaunchBar already has it's own way to quit apps (as described above).

Sincerely,
Ludwig

Silent Bob Ie

Post by Silent Bob Ie » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:59 am

Thanks for the reply. You are probably correct. I will give it some time and try and make the launchbar way of quitting my new habit. :D

norbert
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by norbert » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:50 pm

First of all, let me point out that while browsing the list of running apps in LaunchBar, you cannot only quit the selected application with Command-Q, but you can also hide it with Command-H and Force Quit it with Command-Option-F. Please see the LaunchBar Help chapter "Application Switching" for details.

Regarding your question whether it's possible to quit a selected application by pressing Tab and then choosing a "Quit Application" action - yes, that's possible. Just put the following AppleScript in your ~/Library/Scripts folder:

Code: Select all

on open theFiles
    quit application (short name of (info for (first item of theFiles)))
    open location "x-launchbar:hide"
end open

Save it e.g. as "Quit Application.scpt" and make sure that you've enabled the Scripts indexing rule and that it indexes your "Home Library Scripts".

You should then be able to type something like Command-Space SAF Tab Q Return in order to quit Safari (assuming that you've already trained LaunchBar to select your "Quit Application" script with the abbreviation "Q").

Silent Bob IE

Post by Silent Bob IE » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:55 pm

Thanks buddy, that makes my life alot easier. You rock.

norbert
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by norbert » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:10 pm

We've just released LaunchBar 4.3.4 which has this Quit action already built-in.