Workspace switching - sometimes?

Sharing and discussing custom actions for LaunchBar
screler

Workspace switching - sometimes?

Postby screler » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:21 am

Hello,

I'm having trouble understanding some of Launch Bars behaviour. For example, if I bring up LB and type in Slack and then hit enter, I will be taken to whatever desktop Slack is on and it will be brought to the forefront. This is great and what I want. However, some other apps such as Firefox and Atom don't work this way. When I select them from Launch Bar, it just sullenly does nothing.

Can someone tell me what determines this behaviour?

Thanks.

clozach

Re: Workspace switching - sometimes?

Postby clozach » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:08 pm

Not sure what determines app launching behavior, but I suspect it's mediated by macOS more than Launchbar for the simple case of launching an app by name.

I just did a quick test by moving my two open Atom windows to Desktop 2, switching to Desktop 1, then typing ⌘-Space > A-T > Return. This switched me to Desktop 2. I then moved Slack to Desktop 2, in the foreground so it was covering Atom, switched back to Desktop 2, and did the same A-T shortcut successfully.

TL;DR — Unable to reproduce.

That said, one thing that comes to mind is that Slack is a single-window app, whereas Atom and Firefox are multi-window. Is it possible you've accidentally "split" these apps across multiple desktops in such a way as to create ambiguity? Got any minimized windows? Tried restarting? Any other details you could report?

Return to “LaunchBar Actions”