[LB6 action] Philips Hue lights

Sharing and discussing custom actions for LaunchBar
njr

[LB6 action] Philips Hue lights

Postby njr » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:55 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to develop a LaunchBar Action to turn lights on and off. However, I'm running into a couple problems.

1. I want the state of the light in LaunchBar (which I'm using badge text for) to change immediately after the light changes state, but the only way I can figure out how to do this is to go back and forth in LaunchBar.

2. I'd really like the LaunchBar window to go away after I select a light. But every single thing I've tried (LBRunInBackground true, LBReturnsResult false, LBKeepWindowActive false and various combinations) doesn't seem to have any effect; the item stays displayed, and without the badge even. Is there any way to do this?

Thanks.
Last edited by njr on Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

njr

Re: Not keeping window active and updating list

Postby njr » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:17 pm

OK, I did find a solution to the first problem, though it seems — not great. I still can't use a badge or label, but I was able to return a single item from the action to display status. This has the side effect of navigating away from the list of lights, thereby invalidating it. Also, I end up with a big orange tab key icon which is not helpful at all.

veke71
Rank 2
Rank 2

Postby veke71 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:20 pm

This look interesting, what is this controlling? Telldus ?

njr

Postby njr » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:50 pm

It turns on and off Philips hue lights (or anything else the Hue bridge will talk to) and lets you set scenes by room.

I have a beta version available for anyone who's interested:

https://github.com/nriley/LBHue/releases

Some other screenshots are here:

https://github.com/nriley/LBHue/

At this point it's essentially feature-complete for me. There are definitely more full-featured Hue apps for Mac available but none did what I want, which is why I built the above. If it works, let me know and I'll release it more fully.

Return to “LaunchBar Actions”