Why is this not easy?

Sharing and discussing custom actions for LaunchBar
countdrachma

Why is this not easy?

Post by countdrachma » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:01 am

This actions capability is somewhat confusing to me; someone with no developer skills. I appreciate the end goal here seems to be for developers to create and compile .lbactions for users like me to import but this doesn't seem to be a reality at this point. Even the sample workflows point to Github repositories; some containing .lbaction's to easily import, some don't. Some just contain all the required scripts and images etc but not being a coder myself, they are effectilvely a roadblock to me. Is this a flaw in that I'm expected to understand how to turn all of this in to an action or is it that the developer of these haven't correctly turned them in to .lbaction files ready to import?

Either way, it seems to make for a real hit-and-miss process. I'm a big LB user and love it, but I think Alfred has developed a much better workflow editor than Obdev here as it walks even non-developers through the process of action triggers etc. I think the LB action editor is just way off the mark here in being user friendly and being valuable to non-coders.

Is this a fair summation or am I being overly critical through ignorance maybe?

Cheers

prenagha
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Why is this not easy?

Post by prenagha » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:48 am

A reasonable critque. Some developers do have signed, packaged, easy to download actions that are basically one-click installs. But for a community to take off we need a LB sponsored directory, and LB within-app search and download/install of those actions. Something like Editorial, Workflow, Drafts, Paw and other tools with "plugin" style designs have.

Here are a few to browse

https://prenagha.github.io/launchbar/

countdrachma

Re: Why is this not easy?

Post by countdrachma » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:34 am

Thanks for the validation prenagha. By nature, I'm not the sort to criticise as I tend to be appreciative of the benefits software provides to me. But your assessment is spot-on; LB needs to incorporate an in-app search repository with one-click installs (within the Action Editor) in order for this to be successful. Relying on individual developer Github searches is far from practical. I hope the Obdev guys can take this as constructive criticism and maybe even have plans in place to address this :wink:

And thanks for the links to your actions too. Great to see them presented in a format that makes sense and are easy to implement prenagha!

Cheers