Better way to handle calling phone numbers with LaunchBar?

Sharing and discussing custom actions for LaunchBar
njr

Better way to handle calling phone numbers with LaunchBar?

Post by njr » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:50 am

Hi,

I'm trying to use LaunchBar to let me call phone numbers more easily. Unfortunately I can't figure out how LaunchBar is figuring out what actions to provide when I press Tab after selecting a person.

Currently, I get the following:

call with.png

The first tries to place a FaceTime Audio call to "NicholasRiley", which doesn't work. The second does the same thing except it sends the person's name to Telephone (I checked on the other side, there's nothing else in the service payload). I am hoping for a way to call a contact's phone number directly without having to go digging into the contact itself.

I could potentially do this by writing an action that looks up the person in the Address Book, but when I wrote one that looks like the "Call With FaceTime Audio" action, it didn't show up. I don't even understand where LaunchBar even gets an idea that the "Telephone: Call" service is relevant; it's just declared as accepting strings. Oddly enough, it does *not* show up when I press Tab on a phone number in LaunchBar, but instead I get "Open with Telephone" (which does work), but is really cumbersome).

njr

Re: Better way to handle calling phone numbers with LaunchBar?

Post by njr » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:54 am

Of course, no sooner do I see this than I find a workaround. I can check "Phone Numbers" under "Direct" in the Contacts Index and set my script as a Default Action for "Phone numbers". Still would like actions on the contact to be a bit more useful, but I can at least get quick access to calling a phone number now!