Little Snitch 2 vs Apple's Built in Firewall 10.4.11

General discussions about Little Snitch
yelapa

Little Snitch 2 vs Apple's Built in Firewall 10.4.11

Post by yelapa » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:16 am

I have been working Little Snitch 2 and have noticed that the Tab in the Sharing Pane for "Firewall" is completely grayed out and when the tab is selected it states that other firewall software is running on my system and to turn it off if I want to change the Apple firewall settings. I have never noticed this before with Little Snitch 1.2.4 and thought that Little Snitch covered just outgoing traffic.

Frankly, I am not even sure I have a problem. Any insight welcome!

jtrascap

Re: Little Snitch 2 vs Apple's Built in Firewall 10.4.11

Post by jtrascap » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:35 am

yelapa wrote:I have been working Little Snitch 2 and have noticed that the Tab in the Sharing Pane for "Firewall" is completely grayed out and when the tab is selected it states that other firewall software is running on my system and to turn it off if I want to change the Apple firewall settings. I have never noticed this before with Little Snitch 1.2.4 and thought that Little Snitch covered just outgoing traffic.

Frankly, I am not even sure I have a problem. Any insight welcome!

It sounds like something is handling your firewall, but Little Snitch doesn't do this for me. Did you have another firewall app installed at some time? Maybe clearing the firewall rules via the terminal would help. Leopard has some crappy firewall issues to begin with, so a google day is in order...

FredB
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by FredB » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:38 pm

Have you installed Flying Buttress or Sunshield at some point? IIRC, one of those two "replaces" the Apple Firewall tab. You have to uninstall it to recover the Apple tab.

yelapa

Welcome to Bizzaro-Land

Post by yelapa » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:29 am

Here is what I did: Moved the file "com.apple.sharing.firewall.plist" to the desktop. Made sure Personal File Sharing was on. Clicked Firewall tab. I was able to turn the firewall on and set the preferences. A new "com.apple.sharing.firewall.plist" file was created. The new file is IDENTICAL to the old file and in the same place as was the old one. I always repair preferences and had done so after some updates. Can't imagine what the difference could be. Oh well...working again. I always hate it when I can't find the actual problem.