How do I know what to allow?

General discussions about Little Snitch
allen-uk

How do I know what to allow?

Post by allen-uk » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:30 pm

Might be too basic a question, but how do I know what connections to ALLOW?

They seem to come up, not as 'connection to your bank', or 'connect to Google', but as strings of unrecognisable letters, or sometimes IP addresses.

How do I know the good from the bad? Is there a code book? Are all https designations 'safe'?

Thanks.

Allen, London.

RLD
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: How do I know what to allow?

Post by RLD » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:00 pm

Its very subjective. What you feel as a threat another might not. How paranoid and diligent you are.

Most people don't understand that when you buy, download, install and use a piece of security software
or any software for that matter is that it is up to you the owner to to learn to use it properly. And
that may mean you have to learn a lot of other things to go along with it that you didn't really want
to know anything about. TCPIP address management within your lan network, Whois databases, MAC addressing,
system processes on all the different Operating Systems you use and how all of it can and will interact
with your hardware and other software.

My wife is really smart. A lot smarter than me most of the time. But for convenience sake she will
download and install all kinds of browser extentions/plugins, give all kinds of info to websites, not look at
an install process where the screen asks do you want to install ask.com. As a result she has to wipe and
reinstall her windows machine every two months or more.
She doesn't want to deal with firewall and anti virus popups and trashes any such program because she doesn't
want to teach her firewall or antivirus how to respond. Then she gets to start from scratch allover again.
You'd think after over 10 years of marriage to a reasonable paranoid she'd get the idea. I firmly believe
some of the smartest people on earth can be the absolute dumbest people on earth.

To answer your questions
1. as I said above you have to teach yourself some things you didn't want to learn.
2. once you learn things you can start to put labels on them. bank school garbage etc
3. knowing good from bad is subjective. nothing is ever black or white. usually some shade of grey.
4. no not all https destinations are safe. in general yes but there can be very questionable sites that use https

JammieR

Re: How do I know what to allow?

Post by JammieR » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:37 pm

I’ve been an active user of Little Snitch for quite some time now and it took me a while to understand how to properly use it without going completely insane.

The first thing you will want to do is create a couple rules for “Any Process” denying every connection. Set the silent mode of little snitch on “deny all” just for some extra security.
Once you have done that, create a new profile and take a look at your network monitor. Simply allow applications which should have access to the web or particular hostnames and there you go.
This also gives you additional power over your network connections, since you can create a variety of profiles for different purposes, and you won’t be bothered by the constant pop-ups.

All the best! :wink: