LS 3.5.1 Hangs OsX 10.9.2 on Login

General discussions about Little Snitch
BitMangler

LS 3.5.1 Hangs OsX 10.9.2 on Login

Post by BitMangler » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:14 am

I took the LS update today to LS 3.5.1 on my OsX 10.9.2 and upon the reboot required by LS, now the password field is locked, and indeed the computer is hard locked, because I cannot SSH into it from another computer, nor does the CAPs lock light respond on the keyboard.

Luckily I do have a 2nd hard drive, which I keep as a mirror backup, for these kinds of issues, that I'm booted off of now (still has LS 3.4.2 on it). However, I'm not sure what to do with the first (primary) boot drive to get rid of the problem (lockup at login).

Do I attempt an un-install of LS 3.5.1 on the first (primary) hard drive? (while doing so from boot off the secondary drive?)

Can someone (please) suggest plan of action, to get the 1st hard drive where I can login again?

MajorHavoc

Re: LS 3.5.1 Hangs OsX 10.9.2 on Login

Post by MajorHavoc » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:40 pm

I JUST had the same issue. I had the previous version, just purchased a new license, and was immediately offered an update.

I installed the update, requiring a reboot, and my boot has now hung on the white screen and grey Apple, and the spinning wheel. After 30 minutes, I decided to restart, and held down the Shift key this time. That resulted on a progress bar appearing on the bottom of the screen, taking 15 minutes to progress to the end, and once again I am at the white screen, gray apple, and the spinning wheel.

WTF have you done to my system guys? How do I get this machine back?

I have a fairly new SSD in the machine rebooting, so it NEVER takes this long to boot. What is Little Snitch doing to my machine and how do I get it back? Sadly, my backup was schedule to run today, so my backup is a bit old. I would hate to think I have to go back that far.

A little help please.

MajorHavoc

Post by MajorHavoc » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:28 pm

UPDATE: I tried checking the disk for errors. None. I tried repairing permissions. Done. Still did not boot.
Then I tried resetting PRAM. Success.

This seemed to work. After a short period, my machine finally rebooted. BUT....

Now the Finder is constantly starting and restarting.

That I finally got to stop by eventually quitting everything that was running and pressing "Don't Reopen" to some dialog I could not read.

I hope this helps you find something. But there is something terribly wrong with the latest update.

I am on 10.9.5 on a 2.9 GHz I7 MacBookPro with 8 GB of memory. Im happy to help debug this more, but need to hear what you all have to say now.

MajorHavoc

Post by MajorHavoc » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:36 pm

Last Update: I got far enough to dump the Little Snitch Config app into the trash. The uninstaller launched and I have removed the app. Rebooting now. Lets hope that does it. It has rebooted just fine now. But now I am missing LS.

Correction: My Finder is doing that crash and restart nonsense now over and over, even after removing Little Snitch. This was not a problem before installing and removing. Did something get left behind?

So one more question: Where can I download the previous version?

>Fixed an issue causing a first time installation of Little Snitch to hang under rare circumstances when attempting to restart the
>computer.

Uh, no, you have not!

Thanks

MajorHavoc

Post by MajorHavoc » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:31 am

Curious, does the developer monitor this board?