Boot Volume: Macintosh HD
Boot Mode: Normal

Little Snitch installation version 3.5 via update mechanism. SUCCESS

jazzyguy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: LITTLE SNITCH SUCCEEDS TO INSTALL IN YOSEMITE

Post by jazzyguy » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:57 pm

HOORAY For You......MEANWHILE there at least 8 other members of this forum that can't install it in Yosemite. I installed it by Reinstalling Yosemite.Apparently there are some missing files somewhere. There is a theory that LS alters the boot files. I really don't know and at this point I don't care as Technical Support in LS is non existent. I have written10 times and I gave up.

EMR
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by EMR » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:34 am

jazzyguy wrote:HOORAY For You......MEANWHILE there at least 8 other members of this forum that can't install it in Yosemite. I installed it by Reinstalling Yosemite.Apparently there are some missing files somewhere. There is a theory that LS alters the boot files. I really don't know and at this point I don't care as Technical Support in LS is non existent. I have written10 times and I gave up.

I understand your frustration, as I'm one of the apparently few people who've experienced problems with LS 3.5 in Yosemite on an unsupported Mac. In addition, I felt my first communication with obdev didn't receive the attention I thought it deserved, but I also understand them. There's not much they can do if you give them no real input (such as simply saying "it doesn't work" or "it borked my machine"). So, the second time I tried to install LS 3.5 (via a roundabout method explained by another user), I contacted them with a failure diagnostics report and explaining the method whereby a successful installation can be effected. This time their response was positive. Even if they can't promise anything for unsupported machines, at least they said they would look into it. I'm almost certain they'll come up with something. By the way, their main developer seems to be sick at the moment.

jazzyguy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jazzyguy » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:43 pm

I hope that they come with a good solution for you.In the meantime please reinstall Yosemite or whatever OS you have. A reinstall seems to work for 3.5.There appear to be some files missing in this release,probably some start up files.

EMR
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by EMR » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:53 pm

jazzyguy wrote:In the meantime please reinstall Yosemite or whatever OS you have. A reinstall seems to work for 3.5.There appear to be some files missing in this release,probably some start up files.

I didn't have to reinstall Yosemite. I simply followed the advice of a member of this forum: I reinstalled LS 3.5 in Safe Mode. Rebooted back into Safe Mode and erased caches using Onyx for Yosemite. Rebooted back normal and Little Snitch 3.5 was there, with nothing missing, and working properly. As far as I can tell, Objective Development just need a foolproof method that, without resorting to the Safe Boot mechanism, will see to it that all the proper files are copied with the right permissions and will boot properly when the unsupported machine restarts.

jazzyguy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jazzyguy » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:05 pm

@EMR I wonder why Safe Boot is necessary to install LS 3.5? It is very unusual to have to boot into safe mode to install an application.

EMR
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by EMR » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:32 pm

jazzyguy wrote:@EMR I wonder why Safe Boot is necessary to install LS 3.5? It is very unusual to have to boot into safe mode to install an application.

Yes, I agree with you. In addition, I don't understand why it works. But it does.

Hugo

Post by Hugo » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:55 pm

EMR wrote:I simply followed the advice of a member of this forum: I reinstalled LS 3.5 in Safe Mode. Rebooted back into Safe Mode and erased caches using Onyx for Yosemite. Rebooted back normal and ...

I did the same but OS got frozen at login.

jazzyguy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jazzyguy » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:10 pm

I reinstalled Yosemite and it worked for me. There was no loss of my applications or of my any notes In ~/Documents or anything else and I now have 3.5.

jazzyguy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jazzyguy » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:17 pm

I posted this in another Posting but it is germain to the issue of security and general efficiency of LS 3.5
Dauph.V Member Icon REVIEW
+1
Dauph.VNov 21, 201412345+1After upgrading to version 3.5 I found some significant issues which raise concern for me in regards to security. When alerts pop-up and "Until Quit" is chosen for either Accept or Deny after that application is closed the Temporary Rules are not cleared.

The current documentation matches and is consistent with the behavior of prior releases.

I feel this is a major flaw that should have been caught with proper regression testing. The security issue is that you may believe that after closing the application the temporary rule(s) would be cleared as well however they are not thus when the application is launched again you're not notified of this and information is allowed/denyed based on the temporary rule still in memory.

Because of this I can not suggest this version of the application at this time.

DrGrafix

Post by DrGrafix » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:54 pm

I had nothing but problems with Yosemite after installing LS. Everything was going bonkers. Couldn't login to an assortment of forums I belong to, Safari would freeze up halfway through the loading bar travel... and the Beach Ball of Death was appearing in Mail. I finally threw up my hands and gave up, did an Uninstall, rebooted and the iMac is behaving normally it seems. I also had filled out the email support form a few days ago, got a robot response saying they'd be in touch... 4 days later nothing. Don't know how much bench testing is done before releasing software and charging money for it.

Conceptually, I like the idea of a product that allows the user to decide just how much communicating is going on between his/her mac and God knows who out there in cyberland. But I have to admit that I'm not a super-tech savvy person so maybe I'm in over my head. OTH, it would probably behove the developers if they eased people into this concept with a basic install that maybe lists all your Apps and asks you if you want to restrict automatic dialogue/updates, also asks a few generic questions about web sites, and you check off on that list what you want and don't want. Right now, sometimes dozens of popups appear asking all kinds of obscure questions and all you're trying to do is find out what movies are playing Saturday night.

I'm a big fan of the K.I.S.S. method. Build it right and we will use it. If you don't, I guess I just pissed away the cost of this App.

jazzyguy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jazzyguy » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:58 am

@Dr.Graphix Your response from LS Tech Support is standard for them. I had written to them 10 Times. I got a response from an individual named "Simon" after determining my problem he explained that they are a small company. Very wee company. So tiny that you can never get a response from them. BUT they have no problem getting the cash out of you? DO THEY? After determining my problem with full explanations and console reports the whole thing. He then disappeared and was never heard from again. That kind of representative should be summarily dismissed.