LITTAL SNITCH FAILS TO INSTALL IN YOSEMITE

General discussions about Little Snitch
Hugo

Re: LITTAL SNITCH FAILS TO INSTALL IN YOSEMITE

Post by Hugo » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:32 pm

Johnno wrote: it doesn't work for me in Yosemite on a Mac Pro 1.1

I heve a Mac Pro 1.1 too. Is it an issue that affects older mac?

devotee

Post by devotee » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:53 pm

jazzyguy wrote:I finally got 3.4.2 as i got it from putting 3.4.2 in Google. The link gave me an error message that it FAILED. But when I restarted I had it. I don't know what in the Devil is going on.I am grateful that I have 3.4.2 I would rather have 3.5 but I guess I can't get it.

Could you please share the link, I haven't been able to find a proper link to the 3.4.2 download on obdev.at (I'm not sure I would trust external sources for a senstitive software like a firewall or an antivirus).

The developers should add a 3.4.2 link at least in the legacy version page while this issue is fixed. In fact, keeping the broken 3.5 download on the main page doesn't seem very wise. I'm not really sure why they haven't already taken these actions (make 3.4.2 available somewhere, remove the 3.5 download) when this is a really serious issue.

Hugo wrote:
Johnno wrote: it doesn't work for me in Yosemite on a Mac Pro 1.1

I heve a Mac Pro 1.1 too. Is it an issue that affects older mac?

As long as you have Yosemite installed, yes.

jazzyguy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jazzyguy » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:58 pm

You would think that considering the price the software developer could appoint someone in charge to help things along if something goes awry. But they apparently don't.I am so very sorry for all you guys that can't get 3.5. But the 3.4 is available if you google it.

jazzyguy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jazzyguy » Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:08 pm

If you guys that don't have 3.4.2 would just Google" Little Snitch 3.4.2" you will end up with a bunch of web sites that have it. I think I got mine from TechPro or something like that.Then I put my serial # in the proper space and I was all set.

jazzyguy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jazzyguy » Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:12 pm

Some users on Macupdate.com got 3.5 just fine. I can't figure this out at all. Why some people have Yosemite and others don't. I have an 11" Macbook Air.I just don't get it.I have a Snow Leopard iMacs 2 of them and of course they are all right which just proves that Snow Leopard is the KING of OS's.Of course they have the old edition of Little Snitch but they are fine as well as my MacBook Pro from 2008.

Hugo

Post by Hugo » Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:22 pm

devotee wrote:
jazzyguy wrote:Could you please share the link

Sorry I think we can't share links here. I've download 3.4.2 from "filehorse" site.

jazzyguy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jazzyguy » Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:42 pm

@Hugo That is where I got mine.It is running good,but I would rather get 3.5 as it shows iOS and i have numerous iOS devices.

devotee

Post by devotee » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:40 pm

Hugo wrote:
devotee wrote:
jazzyguy wrote:Could you please share the link

Sorry I think we can't share links here. I've download 3.4.2 from "filehorse" site.

My fault, I thought that jazzyguy had found a "hidden" link to the official download on obdev.at using Google. I did search for it myself, but I only found third-party sites. As I said, I'm not very comfortable getting a sensitive software (a firewall running in kernel space) from an unofficial source, but I guess that'll have to do while someone fixes this mess.

jazzyguy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jazzyguy » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:48 am

I almost lost 3.4.2 because I tried to get it 3.5 on my Hard Drive. I got it on my External Hard drive which is notoriously slow. Weird and CORNFOOSING!!!!!!Well the very strange thing is that the app (3.4.2) stated that it failed.But when I restarted I was greeted by a set of web sites that I had to accept or decline. I realized then that the error message was wrong and I did have 3.4.2.

jazzyguy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jazzyguy » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:21 am

It did it once before.I looked at my postings about 3.4.2 and it did the same thing giving me an error message that 3.4.2 failed before.

rob_06
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by rob_06 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:09 am

I have successfully updated to LS 3.5 on Yosemite with no issues.

I have been doing some research regarding the issues you are seeing it seems to lead to a corrupted boot cache.plist file whihc is hidden. I am unable to test this as I don't currently have a second mac to test with. From what I have read removing this file seems to fix the issue for most people.

I will dig up the location of the plist file in question to allows some to test and see if it helps

Also others have said repairing the permissions and checking the HD for errors has helped others without changing the plist file.

Other than that I am interested to find out what is causing your problems

JayO

Post by JayO » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:54 am

There does indeed seem to be a problem with the LS 3.5 installer corrupting something in the boot cache.
First off, I'm running Yosemite on an unsupported MacPro 1,1 which I've flashed the SMC and firmware to a 2,1, so I'm in uncharted territory to begin with :) .

I tried 3 times to install 3.5 unsuccessfully, once using the internal (Sparkle if I'm not mistaken) updater and twice with the stand alone update.

I finally got 3.5 to install by doing the following :
1- Boot into safe mode by holding down the shift key after the startup chime.
2- run the Little Snitch standalone updater from the Objective website
3- reboot into safe mode with the shift key again
4- use Onyx (http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/11582/onyx) or a similar utility to rebuild all the caches (including the boot cache)
5- reboot normally and enjoy LS 3.5 :-)

Hopefully this helps.

- Jay

jazzyguy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jazzyguy » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:17 am

I really don't think that is the answer to the problem.You were probably lucky.I don't think the removal of Caches did the job.The software has a bug.Let me 'splain ya as they say in Philly town. The External Hard Drive that I have is so very slow and it is difficult to get anywhere with it. I just used DiscWarrior 4.4 with it hoping it will give it the fast speed that the internal HD has. Do you know that it took 3.5 like a champ. I can't put it in my HD at all. I tried 5 times. It took it the first time.Little Snitch told me that 3.4.2 was in error and then when I rebooted I found it there. CRAZY STUFF????

jazzyguy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jazzyguy » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:30 am

Just out of Curiosity what kind of cache are you referring to? A System wide cache? An XLR Cache? A system Cache? What exactly are we dealing with?

JayO

Post by JayO » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:38 am

jazzyguy wrote:Just out of Curiosity what kind of cache are you referring to? A System wide cache? An XLR Cache? A system Cache? What exactly are we dealing with?

Hey JazzGuy,
First of all thanks for the heads up over at VersionTracker that there could be trouble with this update.
I don't have an account over there so I don't post there (although it is my home page in Safari), but we seem to have similar taste in software so I'm always seeing your reviews, I do trust your reviews and judgement, so thanks.

Because of your warning, I backed up and took some extra precautions before attempting to run this 3.5 update.
It has been so long since I've had a problem with a LS update (or any update for that matter), that I'm embarrassed to say I've that become a little blasé when running updates without backing up, so thanks again for the heads up.

You may be right that there is still something fundamentally wrong with the 3.5 version itself, but the problems I was encountering were very similar in nature to others I've encountered running Yosemite on an unsupported machine with an unsupported bootloader.

Starting in Mavericks with 10.9.5, and now fully implemented in Yosemite, are some new security features having to do with kernel extensions (such as LS installs) all of these seemed to get lumped under the single term of "kext signing".
This new security feature insures that not only are all kernel extensions (.kext files) from "identified developers" who have registered with Apple the only ones OSX will load, but there are now extra checks in place to insure that the extensions that are loaded on each boot match the cache of previous boots, so no malware extensions can be injected in the boot sequence without a users notice.

If there is any discrepancy between which extensions the OS is expecting to see loaded from the boot cache, and the actual extensions that are presently loading, then the boot process will halt, to keep the OS from further harming itself or your data.
This is similar to Microsoft's "Driver Signing Certification", which has been around for a while, and it is a very good thing as long as nothing gets corrupted.

Usually the symptoms of a kext signing problem are either a big grey "no entry" symbol (circle with a slash through it), if the error happens late enough in the boot sequence.
If the problem happens earlier in the boot up sequence, then the symptom is just a lockup in the new Yosemite grey/ black progress bar.

Hopefully my explanation makes a little sense, as I'm not too good at typing out what it is I'm actually trying to say. :oops:

All I know is that by getting Yosemite to run on my unsupported system, I've had to jump through all sort of hoops to satisfy this new security protocol.
It may not apply to your system, but if you are still having trouble installing 3.5, you have nothing to lose by trying my procedure,it couldn't hurt. :)

I may have been lucky, but I just thought I would pass my findings along.
Hopefully this helps somebody at least.

- Jay