LS installed to all User Accounts - why?

General discussions about Little Snitch

LS installed to all User Accounts - why?

Post by Guest » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:47 pm

Installing LS 2, I notice that LS is apparently installed into all accounts on the machine as opposed to the specific User account that is in use at time of installation. For example I keep a clean generic account with nothing beyond the basic Apple installation. I do not want LS on that account. I appreciate that I can turn it off but why is it running in the first place as it wasn't installed on the account? In the previous Pref pane version this didn't happen.

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:03 pm

LS operates at the kernel level, below all the user accounts. It might not have installed the prefpane in the other user accounts but it still works across all accounts.

As I understand it, this is how it's always worked.

ooshnoo

Post by ooshnoo » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:57 pm

Anonymous wrote:LS operates at the kernel level, below all the user accounts. It might not have installed the prefpane in the other user accounts but it still works across all accounts.

LS 2.0 does not install a preference pane.

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:15 pm

Anonymous wrote:LS operates at the kernel level, below all the user accounts. It might not have installed the prefpane in the other user accounts but it still works across all accounts.

I don't think so. In the past LS did not activate on User accounts when the Pref Pane was not installed. LS 2 activates across all accounts automatically. This has obvious drawbacks not the least being the lack of a 'clean' account on the computer for identifying problem apps.