Unstable system, Yosemite+Latest update

General discussions about Little Snitch
privserious

Unstable system, Yosemite+Latest update

Post by privserious » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:06 am

My 2008 MacPro (3,1) has become very unstable after installing the latest Little Snitch update for Yosemite.

I have been trying to track this problem down for days, as I rely on this computer for day-to-day work.
At first I believed it was a problem with a bad DIMM, but after eliminating various risers and DIMMs,
and developing a memory stress tool, I turned to software as a possibility. I booted off my Mavericks
backup disk, and the machine remained stable for days while under stress. Booted back to Yosemite,
and the machine becomes unresponsive after about 30 minutes running my stress program. After
uninstalling Little Snitch, I am no longer able to reproduce the instability and Yosemite and running
just fine.

I usually open Activity Monitor, then open terminal and run the stress program. Activity monitor
will start showing a bunch of processes as "Not Responding". The Finder is usually one of them,
and at that point there is no option but to do a hard power cycle to bring things back.

I believe LS has a kernel component, so things need to be evaluated for possible bugs. It might
be possible that low memory conditions are triggering silent issues, who knows...
Last edited by privserious on Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

makebookpro

Re: Unstable system, Yosemite+Latest update

Post by makebookpro » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:03 pm

I am also seeing similar instability problems with my Macbook Pro 15 retina mid 2012, 8gb RAM, 512 SSD. Updated to Yosemite and started seeing frequent random kernel panics with Little Snitch 3.4.2 installed, as often as every 10-15 minutes. I am also experiencing non-responsive and other issues with Finder such as not showing attached hard-drives (they are attached and when removed show the "disk ejected incorrectly" error, but Finder doesn't see them). Remove Little Snitch and the system is stable.

Little Snitch is working fine on my MacBook Pro 15 retina 2013 with 16gb RAM.

Marco Comini

Post by Marco Comini » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:54 pm

I am having similar issues on a 2008 MacPro (3,1).

In my case it seems to be triggered by incoming connections to launchd on port 22

rob_06
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by rob_06 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:18 am

I am seeing a similar issue with little snitch and also on another mac which I haven't installed little snitch onto.

For me I am doubting LS is the direct cause and more likely some sort of bug within the system itself.

I will keep a watch and report anything that may help.

I also suggest reporting these issues to apple also as they will be able to track down any bugs in the system which could be a part or full course.

privserious

Post by privserious » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:43 am

My system has been running solid since I uninstalled LS. I have no doubts where the problem is.

lyssophobe

Post by lyssophobe » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:24 am

I'm having similar problems on a 27" mid-2010 iMac, but have hesitated posting because I'm not convinced that LS is the culprit. But it does seem to be the catalyst on my home machine.

I have a virtually identical 27" iMac in the office, with the primary difference being that I had to replace the HD in the home machine, which requires that I run a fan control utility. I can't very well just uninstall that (I've tried four different variations of similar utilities) but with LS up & running, I'll get the post-sleep "black screen w/cursor" issue and the system will occasionally just fail in a domino crash (a specific app, followed by another, ending in a Finder crash). If I turn the Network Filter off (leaving LS installed), the system is stable for days. Enable the network filter, boom.

Which, again, is odd because my other 27" iMac is running LS without a hitch. Strange days.

I've probably spent 120 hours staring at the Console over the past three months, but every time I think I've latched onto something that might be the core issue, it's a dead end.

Any suggestions? I have a spare kidney (I'm told one can lead a perfectly normal life with a single kidney) to whoever can help me resolve this.

privserious

Post by privserious » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:35 am

It's a bug. The only people that can help are Obdev.

194roc

Post by 194roc » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:30 pm

I am having similar issues on a iMac late 13 fusion power .

In my case it seems to be triggered by incoming connections to launchd on port 22

touringsedan

Post by touringsedan » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:17 am

My system would be frozen on a black screen with a spinning beach ball of death.

Yosemite but latest LS build 4217.

Checked the system log and found thousands of these:
Oct 26 18:49:52 LCARSmobile kernel[0]: LS(4216) m66deaaf0:56
Oct 26 18:49:52 LCARSmobile kernel[0]: LS(4216) m66deaaf0:140

In all cases this error is spinning out of control when the system is unstable.

I have un-installed LS completely to confirm the issue disappears..

privserious

Post by privserious » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:48 am

touringsedan wrote:My system would be frozen on a black screen with a spinning beach ball of death.

Yosemite but latest LS build 4217.

Checked the system log and found thousands of these:
Oct 26 18:49:52 LCARSmobile kernel[0]: LS(4216) m66deaaf0:56
Oct 26 18:49:52 LCARSmobile kernel[0]: LS(4216) m66deaaf0:140

In all cases this error is spinning out of control when the system is unstable.

I have un-installed LS completely to confirm the issue disappears..

Sure would be nice to get an ACK from obdev. It's so easy to recreate, it makes me wonder what their test plans look like.

jonathan123

Post by jonathan123 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:23 am

Same problem here on new 27" iMac. System hung after sleep (black screen, beachball), and also hung while I was using it about 20 minutes after I (force) restarted. Right before the hang LS had popped up the window asking if I wanted to allow a connection. The connection it was asking about involved launchd, but I didn't make a note of the specifics. I couldn't click anything in the popup, and then all other applications began to hang.

194roc

Post by 194roc » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:43 am

The only thing that seems to working on my Yosemite iMac 21,5 late 13 with LS, is to deny any incoming connections on port 22 and leave open the ip addresses from my remote iMac.

I have a problem now on how to reach my iMac from mobile devices :cry: :cry:

40rock

Post by 40rock » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:59 pm

Same issue here. Usually happens when machine goes to sleep and won't fully wake up (gets stuck with black screen but mouse pointer is visible and moves). Shortly thereafter I get the spinning beachball that only a reboot can fix.

Also happens when a lot of applications are loading simultaneously (and maybe each hitting LS with internet requests all at once). One-by-one each applications starts getting the spinning beachball and ultimately the system becomes unusable.

Not sure it's related, but I, too, have noticed hundreds of LS(4216) m66deaaf0 messages in the system log.

If not the direct cause, Little Snitch is definitely part of the issue. I have not had a single issue after disabling LS with "Stop Network Filter".

lyssophobe

Post by lyssophobe » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:07 pm

The only thing that seems to working on my Yosemite iMac 21,5 late 13 with LS, is to deny any incoming connections on port 22 and leave open the ip addresses from my remote iMac.

I can confirm that blocking all inbound traffic on port 22 seems to have resolved the issue for me. Lemme know where you want that kidney delivered, 194roc. :wink:

rob_06
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by rob_06 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:55 am

This is a link direct from apple which explains which ports OS X uses and what for

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6175?viewlocale=en_US

This may shed some light on what is going on as I still think LS has nothing to do with the issues. I have been through the rules in LS 3.5 latest nightly and nothing is showing the use of port 22. I also don't use Xcode or remote programs which use this port for various things.

Do any of the people having this issue have Xcode installed or use remote programs?

I have been watching since the thread started and as yet nothing that LS had caught has needed port 22 access for me as yet.

There are also threads on apples forums about this issue there maybe some good info there to be found with a good look.