Little Snitch & Battle.Net

General discussions about Little Snitch
Seven_709

Little Snitch & Battle.Net

Post by Seven_709 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:54 am

Blizzard updates it's Battle.Net client frequently (sometimes twice a week). Although the program name remains the same, the folder is different for each version. This means, that during each version upgrade I have to confirm all the LittleSnitch rules made for the Battle.Net client again. Since I'm working with different profiles in LS, this is at least inconvenient.

A feature in LS would be very much appreciated that "checks" that the application name is actually the same as for an existing set of rules and offers a decision to the user to apply this set of rule to the new application as well or even "move" the existing set of rules to the new version. If such a feature would be also "profile aware" ... well that would be really great :)

The actual path is as follows:
/Applications/Battle.net.app/Contents/Battle.net.5107/Battle.net.app/Contents/MacOS/battle.net

regards

manfred
Objective Development
Objective Development

Re: Little Snitch & Battle.Net

Post by manfred » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:15 am

Hi Sven, if this happens the next time please open your Little Snitch Configuration, select one of the invalid rules and choose »Repair Rule« from the context menu. Do you get a valid rule then?

Seven_709

Post by Seven_709 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:22 pm

Ahhh ...

that's maybe a misunderstanding ... there is no invalid rule because the previous Battle.Net Version still exist. It will be simply no longer used. These are

/Applications/Battle.net.app/Contents/Battle.net.5090/Battle.net.app/Contents/MacOS/battle.net
/Applications/Battle.net.app/Contents/Battle.net.5107/Battle.net.app/Contents/MacOS/battle.net

for example are the two application folder that are exist right now on my Mac. The rules for version 5090 are perfectly valid because the application still exist. However, only the most recent version 5107 is really used. Thus, with every update I have to confirm the rules for the new version and also delete the rules for the no longer used version. But since the actual executable is always "battle.net" I came up with the idea with the semi-automatic "switch-over" of a existing set of rules.

Another approach would be to skip the complete path for a given set of rules and only match it to the executables name. Of course only when the user explicitly approved that, for security reasons.

regards
Seven

kathi

Post by kathi » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:55 pm

I am facing this same issue with Xcode 6. Every build and run triggers a new popup despite the obvious. Is there a way to setup a rule based on Name matching, application version (based on info.plist) or anything else other than the path to the binary? Maybe a blanket rule that covers a directory and anything in it (deep or shallow)?

jaf

Post by jaf » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:17 pm

Does anybody have a solution for the battle.net problem described by the topic starter?

3x3cut0r

Post by 3x3cut0r » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:11 pm

Hi
I have the same problem with Battle.NET and League of Legends!
Does anyone send this problem to the support?
A new Function with a solution for this would be really great!

ScantyChunk

Post by ScantyChunk » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:52 am

I am also having this issue.

Hei

Post by Hei » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:33 am

Same problem here.

blacksheepwall

Post by blacksheepwall » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:44 am

it's now the middle of March 2016 and I'm still dealing with this issue DAILY!! PLEASE FIND A WAY TO HELP FIX THIS SUFFERING!

dimasfs

Post by dimasfs » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:59 am

Hello There,

I am having this issue too (as of April 2016). It is past time you guys come up with a solution for this.
Why don't you just use Wildcards?

baby

Post by baby » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:31 pm

I too would like to request that wildcards be supported for the Process field.

This way, users can enter strings such as the following in the Process field:

/Applications/Battle.net.app/Contents/Battle.net.*/Battle.net.app

durandal42
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by durandal42 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:37 pm

I too would like to request that wildcards be supported for the Process field.

This way, users can enter strings such as the following in the Process field:

/Applications/Battle.net.app/Contents/Battle.net.*/Battle.net.app

I can't tell from the update notes: is this feature added in 4.0?