LS Always Asks for Connection (Won't remember Answer)

General discussions about Little Snitch
sghiassy

LS Always Asks for Connection (Won't remember Answer)

Post by sghiassy » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:35 pm

Hi,

I'm an iOS developer using XCode6-beta5. A new behavior I've noticed is that everytime I rerun the iOS Simulator, LittleSnitch always shows the Protection Popup Screen (http://lnk.ghiassy.com/1miQ51q). Obviously I've tried "Allow Forever on any connection", but it seems LittleSnitch or XCode6 can't relay the answer from one instance of the Simulator to the next runtime instance.

Note: In Xcode5 and below, this wasn't the case. LittleSnitch wouldn't ask each time.

Screenshot of Little Snitch Protection Popup Screen: http://lnk.ghiassy.com/1miQ51q
Screenshot of Little Snitch Rules Configuration: http://lnk.ghiassy.com/1miQ5OX

Is there anything I can do? This behavior is really dragging on my development productivity.

Thanks!

hagen
Wizard
Wizard

Re: LS Always Asks for Connection (Won't remember Answer)

Post by hagen » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:03 pm

I know nothing about XCode, but in general - sometimes an application will spawn a new process for every connection. Littlesnitch can't recognize the process to be the same one as before, so can't use the previous rule and asks again. One ends up with a large number of invalid rules for processes that no longer exist. It looks like that's what you're getting.

For verification, the requesting name shown in the popup, /Users/ ... /Groupon.app/Groupon, might be different each time, and/or Process ID changes.

It's a difficult problem. I'm not aware of any really good way around an app that chooses to be troublesome by spawning new processes.

If all of these connections are to the same IP address, or a known range of addresses, you could try allowing all processes to those locations. Limit it by port/protocol. That isn't ideal, but might work if no other app has reason to call there.

Otherwise, you might set up a profile that's intended to be used only with iOS Simulator, or something like that. Also not ideal, but maybe a useful workaround.

sghiassy

Post by sghiassy » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:07 pm

Yea, you're probably right. Each build creates a new process, so I'll have to carefully carve out some global exceptions. Thanks for the help!

coneybeare

Post by coneybeare » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:42 am

I am facing this same issue with Xcode 6. Every build and run triggers a new popup despite the obvious. Is there a way to setup a rule based on Name matching, application version (based on info.plist) or anything else other than the path to the binary? Maybe a blanket rule that covers a directory and anything in it (deep or shallow)?