What outgoing connections does Little Snitch make?

General discussions about Little Snitch

What outgoing connections does Little Snitch make?

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:51 am

I am curious what outgoing connections does Little Snitch itself make (for both versions 1 & 2) and what info is sent out? I doubt it would snitch on itself? Can obdev create a log of the ISPs we use by Little Snitch sending out our registration numbers?

norbert
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by norbert » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:39 pm

Little Snitch doesn't make any outgoing connections itself.
See my posting at http://forums.obdev.at/viewtopic.php?p=2533#2533

If you don't trust my statement, you may use the network sniffing tools that are bundled with Mac OS X (e.g. tcpdump or fs_usage) to check yourself whether you can trust Little Snitch or not. These tools let you monitor any incoming and outgoing network traffic, so it would be easy to detect if Little Snitch does any outgoing calls.
I doubt it would snitch on itself?

Actually, it does.

Post by Guest » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:05 am

norbert wrote:Little Snitch doesn't make any outgoing connections itself.
See my posting at http://forums.obdev.at/viewtopic.php?p=2533#2533
Does this apply to LittleSnitch 2 also? Thanks

norbert
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by norbert » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:02 am

Yes, of course.

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:15 am

Has anybody independently verified this? I would be interested in hearing about any tests users have done for this.

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:41 am

Anonymous wrote:Has anybody independently verified this? I would be interested in hearing about any tests users have done for this.

Dude, get real.

Dave Bourke
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Dave Bourke » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:08 pm

This forum is filled with the most paranoid people I've ever come across outside a psychiatric institution. No one signs in here under their name or nom de plume – almost every post is signed "Guest."

Are these people all NSA wannabes? Are they plotting the overthrow of unjust governments? Striking out for human freedom by refusing to pony up for a second license for TechTool Pro?

Here's a free personal security tip: if you want to keep something private, don't put it on a computer.

It would be hilarious if it wasn't so saddo...

Kind regards.

Post by Guest » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:42 pm

Comments about paranoia do not help advance this thread, which raised a technical question and whether it had been verified by someone outside Objective Development.

Post by Guest » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:45 pm

Dave Bourke wrote:This forum is filled with the most paranoid people I've ever come across outside a psychiatric institution. No one signs in here under their name or nom de plume – almost every post is signed "Guest."
Do you think people want to publicly admit they use LittleSnitch? Even though most probably are not pirates, they would not want people to think they are pirates, as LittleSnitch has a reputation as being a tool for pirates. So, what's wrong with a little privacy by posting as Guest? Obviously Objective Development realized that to disallow Guest would put a chill on these forums.

Dave Bourke
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Dave Bourke » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:21 am

Little Snitch has a reputation as being a tool for pirates? I'm sorry, Mr. Guest, but I think that's just laughable.

By the way, are you related to the guy that married Barbra Streisand?

Kind regards.

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:53 pm

Dave Bourke wrote:By the way, are you related to the guy that married Barbra Streisand?

Kind regards.

I presume you mean Liza Minelli's plastic ex-hubby?

Dave Bourke
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Dave Bourke » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:57 pm

You mean Barbra Streisand and Liza Minelli aren't the same person? :)

And of course his name is spelled "Gest," so I suppose he's from the Californian branch of the Guest family...

Kind regards.