Feature Desperately Needed

General discussions about Little Snitch
Zarkov

Feature Desperately Needed

Post by Zarkov » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:53 pm

My main reason for buying a Family License for Little Snitch is to monitor my network to determine the reason(s) I occasionally get a massive usage spike - as in going form an average of 1 GB/day to 25 GB/day! And no, I don't torrent or do remote backups. Little Snitch's ability to monitor network traffic by App is just what I need..but, a one-hour recording time is inadequate. Please extend the network activity recording time to a day at least! Contrary to some opinions, I am not at my Mac 24/7!

Billy

Re: Feature Desperately Needed

Post by Billy » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:25 pm

For what it's worth, I've noticed my local newspaper's web site (LATimes.COM) preloading massive amounts of data (2~3MB/sec) for prolonged periods of time. It's nice to have pages open instantly, but if you're paying based on usage then yes, it's a problem.

pemontto

Post by pemontto » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:38 am

This is definitely a feature I'd like to see, even an adjustable time period for retention.

manfred
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by manfred » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:17 pm

The 1 hour timeframe does not apply to traffic amounts. Traffic amounts are always since the start date of the network monitor (usually equal to your system uptime). Furthermore if you sort the list by traffic amount you get bars illustrating the amount of traffic per app. If you need exact values, take a look at the inspector.

cortig
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cortig » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:29 pm

I'm coming back to this old thread.
I've had some quite significant data usage issues lately and I've been trying to track down the underlying cause.
The traffic amounts per app is an amazing too for these sorts of things, but I wish we could set the duration for the retention (and be able to track across reboots for instance).

Corentin

theophilus

Post by theophilus » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:11 am

Sorry, but you are simply all wrong! LS is designed as a security app to deal with current behaviours in your network traffic. The network monitor is just a simple support window, an extra, to double check what is going on if you do not understand.
The feature you are asking for is something totally different and has a totally different purpose. It would make LS harder to code, harder to handle, more memory consuming, more insecure etc. pp. et al. The demand to make every software a jack of all trades is absolutely de-constructive.
You are all asking for a software with a different purpose, i.e. network monitoring, not network handling / maintaining.

For ordinary monitoring the OS X on-board instruments can be recommended:
a) Activity Monitor --> Network-tab. There is already a lot of information collected in this app... more than 90% of apple users could process.
b) Terminal --> nettop. I use this mainly for simple monitoring requirements. Slim, simple, powerful. How-tos under these links:
http://osxdaily.com/2013/06/07/watch-network-traffic-mac-os-x-nettop/
https://sites.cns.utexas.edu/oit-blog/blog/how-monitor-network-traffic-os-x-mac
As long as not interrupted nettop records the traffic in a terminal window.

If you need want more/other features, a GUI, or alike there are different softwares: PeakHour, Debookee, NetUse Traffic Monitor - they cost between 5 to 30 bucks, and as usual they get divergent reviews. May be iStat Menus (I did not check features)? I never tried any of these but I know that there are Mac users who are using these apps to control their network traffic.
There are a few pro apps, but I can not recommend them with quiet conscience to users who are expecting network monitoring in an app like LS, because these apps are time consuming, confusing, overloaded with features etc. for normal users.

cortig
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cortig » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:00 pm

@theophilus, I don't see how we're "all wrong". We're just asking if an extra option could be added to Little Snitch. We're not saying the app is horrible and I can't use it unless is has that one very feature I absolutely need. It's a simple matter of "It'd be nice if we could have that too".

And since you were talking about the other options: The Activity monitor doesn't log across reboots and neither does nettop. I happen to also have a license for PeakHour. It's a nice app, but I find massive discrepancies with the values I get in Little Snitch, it doesn't differentiate LAN from WAN traffic and doesn't split traffic per process… Same thing with iStat Menu.

I find that the network monitor in Little Snitch is immensely helpful and I just wish it could log for longer periods… I don't think it's a crazy request/wish…

Corentin