Traffic Content

General discussions about Little Snitch
piercer

Traffic Content

Post by piercer » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:41 am

Hi all,

I am trying out little snitch 2 on Leopard and think it is quite good.

There is however one thing I don't seem to be able to do and if I could it would be amazingly useful.

It gives me a list of alll the open sockets etc.. and even shows me when something is being sent on that particular stream BUT I can't work out how to see what is actually being sent and received. Is this possible.

Thanks

Conrad

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:16 pm

So, is that a not then? You can know that there is traffic, but you can't actually see what the traffic is.

Shame :-(

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:46 am

Can the traffic be written to a log along with identification of the originating application for each entry?

piercer

Post by piercer » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:50 am

So, no response from the support team about this at all :-( I would buy this, even if they say it is not in this version, but will be in a later version, but no response at all.

Doesn't inspire me with confidence.

johannes
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by johannes » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:18 pm

Dear piercer!

Can the traffic be written to a log along with identification of the originating application for each entry?

Currently Little Snitch does not offer such functionality. But logging is on the list of future features.

One problem with this feature is, that an application will not even try to send any data, unless it has successfully connected to some server. So you would not be able to see any data, unless you let the application connect to the server - and this alone can be a privacy violation.

So you will not be able to base your decision whether to let some app connect or not on the data it would be sending.

So, no response from the support team about this at all...Doesn't inspire me with confidence.

Please note, this forum are primarily a board for communication among users of Objective Development's software. If you expect a reply from Objective Development, please send a support request through our contact page.

That's why on the post page it says:

Post by Guest » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:34 pm

Of course I was only considering the situation of watching traffic that I permitted! How can n unopened port send any traffic?

I am surprised by your mention of privacy. I think ANY traffic sent by ANY program that runs on my computer should be viewable by me without privacy concerns (providing of course I have an application to do it).

Red

Post by Red » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:00 pm

johannes wrote:One problem with this feature is, that an application will not even try to send any data, unless it has successfully connected to some server. So you would not be able to see any data, unless you let the application connect to the server - and this alone can be a privacy violation.

Wouldn't it be possible to make it belive it successfully connected, but redirect the content to the user, and actually send it only if the user allows it ?