Skype best practise for LittleSnitch

General discussions about Little Snitch
billlanyon

Skype best practise for LittleSnitch

Post by billlanyon » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:17 pm

Sirs,

Could we identify the optimum way to configure LittleSnitch to manage effective Skype usage without allowing too many connections please?

Thanks,
Bill.

billlanyon

Re: Skype best practise for LittleSnitch

Post by billlanyon » Wed May 27, 2015 6:23 pm

Still no accepted wisdom on this?

Thanks,
B.

ratty
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ratty » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:22 pm

This is a issue, that cannot be solved. I have allowed all connections. There are servers of Microsoft all over the world with hundreds of IPs, and they probably change so there is no way to make rules.

I don't mind allowing all though; because I trust Skype to encrypt my data, and not middle with it. Most applications you should be able to trust, because they are code signed, so it won't launch if someone edits any code; also Apple approved apps (from App Store) should be fine.

Little Snitch is for apps, or scripts you don't trust, might not see, and don't want to contact/send data anywhere else. But app that you want to contact WWW should be allowed, like Safari, Mail etc.

Tunes

Post by Tunes » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:44 am

Perhaps the best approach is knowing which IP addresses to block and which ports to allow?

For example; Blocking AD, Tracking domains/ip addresses. Then allowing a range of ports.

I was looking for a way to allow a range of ports which is how I arrived here. Anyone know how to allow a range of ports e.g.
"Allow forever Ports 40,000 through 65,000" (This is an example only and not derived from any knowledge of what ports Skype uses to make peer to peer connections).

So in your case you might start by first "allow any connection until Quit" then go in and edit the rules for Skype as you figure out which ones are for advertising and tracking. There are several ways you might find a good list of where to start by opening for example, your AD blocker and copying the list of AD filters.