The update is responsible for the mach_kernel issue

General discussions about Little Snitch
mr_k

The update is responsible for the mach_kernel issue

Post by mr_k » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:26 pm

I'm calling it here, there's no way all the users reporting issues here and on twitter have moved or done anything adverse to their mach kernel. r.giskard are you compiling the kernel extension against the Mavericks kernel on the latest update? Surely this is responsible for all the problems and not your users.

Single worst update to an application I've ever had to deal with. Should be pulled.

jazzyguy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: The update is responsible for the mach_kernel issue

Post by jazzyguy » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:35 pm

They won't even answer my eMail regarding this matter. I answered their eMail putting in the code they gave me. I actually paid another $20 to download 10.8.5 because I changed my user name in Apple ID and forgot my password. It is unfortunate that they do not at the very least give me a status on my case. My thread is below your thread. You would think that Objective Development has enough of a staff to answer complaints about their service.They are not a 1 man operation.I am really angry! :?: :!: :!: :!:

jazzyguy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jazzyguy » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:41 pm

I think what whoever answered the posting was trying to help someone that deleted a Mach Kernel but I never did .....AND I didn't even see it let alone delete it!

mk1

Post by mk1 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:39 am

jazzyguy
I actually paid another $20 to download 10.8.5 because I changed my user name in Apple ID and forgot my password.
Oh shit think about all your lost app store and iTunes purchases. Little Snitch shame on you.
BTW: The 10.8.5 combo update is available for free http://support.apple.com/downloads/DL1676/en_US/OSXUpdCombo10.8.5.dmg

jazzyguy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jazzyguy » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:49 am

Look I don't mean to be sarcastic but MK you have to have Mountain Lion first, if you bothered to read my post you would have understood that I could not boot and I repaired permissions on an external drive and ran Disc Warrior and it found that the hard drive was OK. So I had to get Mountain Lion an update would have done no good. Please read my post that appears separate from this one. .......AND I never deleted Mach_Kernal.

jazzyguy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jazzyguy » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:50 am

I don't know what you mean by lost purchases. I lost NOTHING....NARDA!!!

jazzyguy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jazzyguy » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:11 am

@MK1 and Mister K You joined under 2 different names. That is not according to the rules!

John von Gonten

Post by John von Gonten » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:43 am

I updated the the latest and was saddled with boot loops.
Took uninstalling and removing all traces to just get my machine to actually boot and stay stable.
So I'm guessing it was something with Little Snitch under Mountain Lion.

jazzyguy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jazzyguy » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:32 am

John von Gonten wrote:I updated the the latest and was saddled with boot loops.
Took uninstalling and removing all traces to just get my machine to actually boot and stay stable.
So I'm guessing it was something with Little Snitch under Mountain Lion.
It was worse for me John as I couldn't boot at all after the update of 3.3 failed.It really was a miserable version but on my other iMacs the version was good without any problem.But they were running 10.6.8 and my Macbook Air which was affected was running 10.8.5

mr_k

Post by mr_k » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:07 pm

jazzyguy wrote:@MK1 and Mister K You joined under 2 different names. That is not according to the rules!

I can ensure you, this is not the case. I took to the board after receiving a lacklustre reply from a support ticket. My frustration being with said reply, inferring that I was competent enough to delete or move the mach kernel but not to understand the implications of doing so.
I'm running 10.8.5. As highlighted above, I asked one of the devs at work to look into the error log and he quickly pointed out that the kernel extension used by Little Snitch was not compiled against my mach kernel version.

A pre-install check comparing local mach kernel against expected version, preventing installation on mis-match, could have easily prevented these problems.

jazzyguy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jazzyguy » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:35 am

I agree,The developers should have checked and tested the version before releasing this mayhem on us.I could not boot at all and I never deleted the mach_kernel. This was pur mayhem to unleash this on unsuspecting victims. Which is what we were.

mr_k

Post by mr_k » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:21 pm

Support have replied. Pre-flight check now looks for a missing/visible mach_kernel before installation.

jazzyguy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jazzyguy » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:08 pm

But in most cases the mach_kernel is an invisible file. The supplementary update to 10.8.5 made it visible and the combo update made it invisible again.

John von Gonten

Post by John von Gonten » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:54 am

jazzyguy wrote:It was worse for me John as I couldn't boot at all after the update of 3.3 failed.It really was a miserable version but on my other iMacs the version was good without any problem.But they were running 10.6.8 and my Macbook Air which was affected was running 10.8.5

Are you able to boot into Safe Mode?
That is what I ended up having to do to clear out all my issues.
Thankfully!
Doing clean installs to fix boot problems caused by bad coding in a simple utility app stinks.

jazzyguy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jazzyguy » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:14 am

No John,I couldn't boot at all.When I tried to boot The startup Disc gave me a question mark and a circle with a Diagonal line through it. The only way I could boot was by using an external drive with the same volume on it and OSX and using the option bar I chose the external disc.I had a miserable time of it.I repaired permissions,used Disc Warrior the whole gamut and then called Apple and they had me install OSX again. It was a horrible evening!
Last edited by jazzyguy on Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.