Filtering by Mac (hardware) address

General discussions about Little Snitch
epo

Filtering by Mac (hardware) address

Post by epo » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:13 pm

I would like to be able to ssh into my mac from my iPad while I am on the road, without compromising security. The problem of course is that the IP address is different each time.

The ideal is to permit accesses from a given MAC address but there appears to be no way to do this. Is there any way to permit this using Little Snitch or do I have to turn LS off when I am out of the house?

epo

Re: Filtering by Mac (hardware) address

Post by epo » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:54 pm

Is this a difficult or ridiculous question? Possibly LS cannot filter at the MAC level.

So is it the case that the only way I can allow remote access from arbitrary locations using LS is to permit all accesses to a given port and then use some other mechanism like public keys to provide the necessary security?

macbook user

Re: Filtering by Mac (hardware) address

Post by macbook user » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:05 pm

Currently, LS can't filter based on MAC address, although this has probably been requested before.

I presume that you mean you want to ssh to your Mac, which is at home, while you are on the road. Being able to filter by MAC address would not help you because the MAC address is only seen at the local level (between your iPad and the cell tower or WiFi access point) so your home computer would never see the iPad's MAC address when you are away.

The best way to get secure access to your computer is to change the SSH port to an obscure high port, and use SSH keys. Or set up a VPN at your house and use that.