Skype has 45 servers

General discussions about Little Snitch
Willum

Skype has 45 servers

Post by Willum » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:46 pm

Is there a way to set Snitch so that Skype can be used without having to 'Allow All'. Skype makes so many connections that I cannot approve them individually - currently 45. Is there a subset of essential servers that can be allowed and the rest blocked?

martinpaljak

Re: Skype has 45 servers

Post by martinpaljak » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:50 pm

You only need ports 80 and 443 to be open. Manually create those 4 rules and then choose "forever disallow all connections" when starting skype. This will be added to the end of the list and work as expected. Skype will then only use ports 80 and 443 to connect.

Stuart
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Stuart » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:25 pm

Always used to be that Skype was peer-peer network with no/few central servers. People running Skype client could become "servers" (the client would decide based on things like how long the computer remained on, network connection, etc.). Thus the "servers" would be routinely changing. That is how it used to work. However, it might have changed since those days - I gave-up using it as it kept trying to communicate as "mach_kernel" a coupe of times every day (in addition to its regular comms). That had me "wondering" about what it was actually doing. And with the current horrific UI - it all because just not something I wanted.

And more recently it seems that MS have automatically merged Skype clients into people's hotmail accounts (and if/when your hotmail account gets hacked ...), so glad I stopped running it.

rob_06
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by rob_06 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:33 am

martinpaljak wrote:You only need ports 80 and 443 to be open. Manually create those 4 rules and then choose "forever disallow all connections" when starting skype. This will be added to the end of the list and work as expected. Skype will then only use ports 80 and 443 to connect.

Thanks for the info as I use Skype for some of my work which saves on phone calls

I will try this and see what happens

One thing I do recommend since MS has taken over changing your password regularly and make it quite difficult to get by someone else

macjunkie

Post by macjunkie » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:53 am

Hi rob_06

How did the suggestion work? Were those two ports the only connections necessary to get skype to function properly without having to allow all connections?

rob_06
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by rob_06 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:15 am

So far skype has worked quite normally part from when my net connection plays up itself.

I haven't been asked for any other ports since allowing 80 and 443

This could change with updates as they come out I will post any changes I make if needed

cam

Post by cam » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:05 am

I initially set the two outgoing rules and then denied all incoming connections (as described above) and could not establish a video connection.
Then I duplicated the rules for incoming traffic - and it works!

With these six rules (port 80 incoming and outgoing, port 443 incoming and outgoing, deny incoming traffic, and deny outgoing traffic) Skype seems to be happy.

By the way, before I found this solution I had 170 temporary Skype rules.

JanDouw

Post by JanDouw » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:12 pm

Skype gives you the option to change the incoming connection port in the preferences, so I picked 25000 and added a rule to allow incoming TCP to it.
I also added a rule to allow any outgoing UDP and TCP connection.
However, since I dislike social tracking, I also added rules to deny incoming as well as outgoing connection to messenger.live.com and facebook.com and facebook.net so no longer get unwanted invitations. AFAIK it hasn't caused any quality issues.

jonjon

Post by jonjon » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:11 pm

The rules system is rather obscure to me so I would appreciate if someone could post a specific set of rules for Skype. I mean, there are all kinds of things you can choose in the window. I have no problem with other programs but Skype totally floods me with requests.
I'm using the latest LS.