UCE from swreg.org

General discussions about Little Snitch
lambertd

UCE from swreg.org

Post by lambertd » Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:36 am

I’m getting spam from the company that handles Little Snitch’s registrations/upgrades. Maybe Objective Development should rethink their association with swreg.org.

norbert
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by norbert » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:53 pm

Thanks for pointing this out! It appears that during the order process there's a checkbox labeled "... If you do not wish to be contacted via email, please uncheck the box". You've probably left this checkbox checked.

We've already contacted SWREG regarding this issue, and we'll try to get rid of the checkbox to prevent this from happening again in the future.

lambertd

UCE from swreg.org

Post by lambertd » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:17 pm

norbert wrote:Thanks for pointing this out! It appears that during the order process there's a checkbox labeled "... If you do not wish to be contacted via email, please uncheck the box". You've probably left this checkbox checked.

I don’t think so. Actually, I’m pretty sure. Anyway, I’ve blacklisted them now.

Thanks for looking into this,

Lambert Dickmeis, Berlin

Tiny Clanger

Post by Tiny Clanger » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:10 am

I've been thinking about buying LS, and have had a look at SWREG's privacy policy.

Some of the ways in which we will use the personal information provided us include:

(a) to take, process or deliver your order, process or obtain payment or notify you of the status of your order;
(b) in connection with keys, access codes or other information as may be required to permit you to access our partners’ sites to receive products, updates or services;
(c) to provide it to industry and credit related organizations for security, credit or fraud prevention purposes;
(d) to register your purchase with the manufacturer or service provider for warranty, technical support or similar purposes;
(e) to facilitate the renewal of subscriptions for products or services;
(f) to provide you with technical support;
(g) to monitor service or purchasing patterns;
(h) to provide you with service updates, announcements, and other product offerings;
(i) to send you, with your consent, newsletters or promotional emails or undertake other promotional activities; and
(j) to permit you to participate in online surveys and polls, assuming you voluntarily agree to provide such information in connection with these surveys and polls.

I don't like the "some of the ways" part. Tell us all of the ways you're going to use our information, please! And while section (i) appears to have an opt-out, there's no opt-out for section (h), including "other product offerings". I don't think SWREG seems to get the fact that they're there to take my money and pass it on to the developer. Nothing more, unless I specifically ask them to do it.

I won't use SWREG because of this. Is there another way I can pay? Can I PayPal you direct? Or are you planning to offer LS on MacZOT at all?

Thanks