Network Monitor - What is it?

General discussions about Little Snitch
Mostly Music

Network Monitor - What is it?

Post by Mostly Music » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:10 am

Will "not showing up" in the Network Monitor mean that programs won't be checking for duplicate versions running in the same network? Will it prevent programs from calling home for serial numbers already in use?

That is primarily why I bought LS in the first place, but it hasn't haelped that situation much. I'm not sorry I bought it, just for the headaches iTunes was creating. But am I missing something here? Should I be able to stop these calls home via LS?

TIA!

Re: Network Monitor - What is it?

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:11 am

Mostly Music wrote:Will "not showing up" in the Network Monitor mean that programs won't be checking for duplicate versions of programs running in the same local network? Will it prevent programs from calling home for serial numbers already in use?

That is primarily why I bought LS in the first place, but it hasn't haelped that situation much. I'm not sorry I bought it, just for the headaches iTunes was creating. But am I missing something here? Should I be able to stop these calls home via LS?

TIA!

Mostly Music

Re: Network Monitor - What is it?

Post by Mostly Music » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:19 am

Anonymous wrote: <blank>

Thanks. That was really helpful.

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:08 am

Network Monitor is just a simply gui that shows in the menu bar on top a visual of your upload and download (red and green respectively) ...choosing to "Show network monitor" is pretty neat when you want to see what programs are accessing the internet and clicking on each will reveal the source. (I would recommend unchecking the "Show local network activity" in the Preferences / Monitor as it's just local activity that isn't going over the internet and thus probably not something you want to see.

As far as blocking a program from calling home/checking for updates/etc, simply block the program by creating a rule.

The first time I installed Little Snitch (v2 beta which I find much more easier to set up, espcially the rule section) as soon as a program attempts to make a connection, you set up a rule right there once (for instance, by denying access to a website or any website forever) and that's it.

Hope this helps from one user to another. Little Snitch is cool, easy and trouble free for me so far. I really wish someone could tell me how to set up a rule to block a range of ip addresses.

btw, I don't have an account on the forums, so I'll be "Guest" but I'm not the earlier 'Guest'