The new 'Don't show..' is implemented horribly and is unsafe

General discussions about Little Snitch
dpuett

The new 'Don't show..' is implemented horribly and is unsafe

Post by dpuett » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:55 pm

I appreciate have the ability to prevent certain rules from showing in the network monitor, but completely overwriting the rule by displaying 'Don't show in the network monitor' is very poor way to implement it.

The whole point of showing the rules is so someone can quickly scan and edit them is necessary. By overwriting the text of the rule, there is no way to see the rule.

What is even worse it that by changing the rule to 'Don't show...' it CHANGES the actual rule to allow UNFETTERED access to the program. Check it out.

I have a rules that is 'port 80 to a specific server'
I change that to 'Don't show in Network Monitor.
I change it back, to edit it, to 'Allow Connections' and the rule is 'ANY CONNECTION, ANY SERVER.'

This is completely unacceptable.

I have been a huge fan of Little Snitch and Launchbar but this is incredibly irresponsible.

norbert
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by norbert » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:27 pm

I appreciate have the ability to prevent certain rules from showing in the network monitor

There's probably a little misunderstanding. You cannot prevent rules from showing up in Network Monitor, but applications.

You therefore have to create an additional "Don't show in Network Monitor" rule for this application. If you just change an existing rule, the former functionality of this rule will be lost, of course.

So for example, if you wish to allow Safari to communicate via http, but don't want this communication to show up in Network Monitor, you need one "Safari / Allow connections to port 80" rule, and another "Safari / Don't show in Network Monitor" rule.