Blinking Red Dot?

General discussions about Little Snitch
paulc
Rank 2
Rank 2

Blinking Red Dot?

Post by paulc » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:51 am

Covering up part of the menubar display for LS (the up and down animations) is a blinking red dot that I think has something to do with LS... what IS it? And why is it positioning covering up some but not all of the connection (it's the one with the horizontal lines with an arrow at the top pointing up.. I assume this is data up)?

access_denied

Re: Blinking Red Dot?

Post by access_denied » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:37 am

According to Little Snitch help:

Status Information

Depending on Little Snitch’s state, the menu bar icon will provide additional information:

Network filter off: A yellow triangle (caution sign)
    Traffic capture running: A red, blinking recording icon
    Silent Mode active: Background shaded in green (Silent Allow Mode), or red (Silent Deny Mode)

Whenever Little Snitch blocks a connection attempt due to a deny-rule, a red “X” appears and fades out on top of the traffic meters (if enabled).

paulc
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Blinking Red Dot?

Post by paulc » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:13 pm

Hmmm, I HAD read through the whole Analyze traffic section, but didn't find this information in there... but now I see it by going to "Everything Else." In point of fact, I had not chosen the "capture traffic" function. But I DO thank you for responding!

There ARE issues here... first from a design standpoint, a blinking red light normally signifies some form of danger... so this is not the best way to indicate such a state is happening. Second, it partially covers a part of the normal menu bar display LS puts up. A niggling couple of points, but maybe not as "polished" as they can be. Don't get me wrong, I AM very happy to see this overall function being added to LS!