Need help using LittleSnitch Beta2!

General discussions about Little Snitch
hassiman

Need help using LittleSnitch Beta2!

Post by hassiman » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:52 pm

Hi,

I loaded the Beta2 version of LittleSnitch last night and it seems to have used the rules that alread existed in my older version and appended more... most of which I do not understand.
On the rules page it lists 39 rules.
The topmost group reads "all applications" it shows:

A small lock shows first then a green ball followed by "Allow connections to 169.254.0.0/16" then at the end of the line a small image of a pencil

Next A small lock agreen ball and "Allow connections to IPv6 Multicast Addresses" small pencil

Same "Allow connections to Broadcast addresses" pencil

Same "Allow connections to local networks" pencil

Same "Allow connections to multicast Addresses" pencil

Ichat :No lock Green ball "Allow any connection" no pencil
iChat Agent: No lock Green ball " Allow any connection" no pencil

Lookupd : Lock Green Ball "Allow xconnections to port 53 (domain)" pencil

Mail: No lock Green ball "Allow TCP connections to port 110 (pop3)" no pencil
No lock Green Ball "Allow TCP connections to port 143 (imap)" no pencil

No lock Green Ball "Allow TCP connections to port 25 (smtp)" no pencil

No lock Green Ball "Allow TCP connections to port 993 (imaps)" no pencil

No lock Green Ball "Allow TCP connections to port 995 (pop3s)" no pencil

mDNSResponder : Lock Green ball "Allow udp connections" pencil

MUMENU: No Lock Green Ball "Allow connections to port 80 (http) of www.macupdate.com" pencil

Network Utility: No lock Green ball "Allow any connection" no pencil

nmblookup: Lock Green Ball "Allow connections to port 137 (netbios-ns) pencil

ntpd: Lock Green ball Allow UDP connections to port 123 (ntp)" pencil

ntpdate: Lock Green ball "Allow UDP connections to port 123 (ntp)" pencil

OSX Planet: Blue ball where lock was Green ball "Allow connections to port 21 (ftp) of Mirror.pacific.net.au" pencil

Blue ball where lock was Green ball "Allow connections to port 52044 of Mirror.pacific.net.au" pencil

Blue ball where lock was Green ball Allow connections to port 80 (http) of BLAH BLAH pencil

Blue ball where lock was Green ball Allow connections to port 80 (http) of BLAH BLAH pencil

QuickTime Player: No lock Green ball (following text in black) "Allow TCP connections to port 554 (rtsp)" pencil

Safari: No lock Green ball (following text in black) "Allow TCP connections to port 554 (rtsp)" Pencil

No lock Green ball (following text in black) "Allow TCP connections to port 443 (HTTPS)" No pencil

No lock Green ball (following text in black) "Allow TCP connections to port 80 (HTTP)" No pencil

No lock Green ball (following text in black) "Allow TCP connections to port 80 (HTTP)" No pencil

Sherlock: No lock Green ball (following text in black) "Allow TCP connections to port 80 (HTTP)" No pencil

SnapNDrag: No lock Green ball (following text in black) "Allow connections to port 80 (HTTP) of yellowmug.com" pencil

Software Update: No lock Green ball (following text in black) "Allow connections to port 80 (HTTP) of SWCDN.apple.com.edgesuite.net "pencil

No lock Green ball (following text in black) "Allow connections to port 80 (HTTP) of swquery.apple.com" pencil

No lock Green ball (following text in black) "Allow connections to port 80 (HTTP) of swscan.apple.com" pencil

Syndication Agent : No lock Green ball (following text in black) "Allow connections to port 80 (HTTP)" pencil

System Preferences: No lock Green ball (following text in black) "Allow connections via ntpdate to port 123 (ntp) pencilSWCDN.apple.com.edgesuite.net" pencil

This is what shows on my system now.

I am wondering what the lock means, what the green ball means, why some lines have the lock replaced by a blue ball, what the pencil symbol means... why some of the text is in green and why some is in black and what that indicates?

Is there anything here that I should be worried about? I found it strange that one of the update URLS was SWCDN.apple.com.edgesuite.net

Is there an instructional .PDF manual that I can download?

Sorry to take up bandwidth but it's a bit confusing... Not to mention the new connection monitor... :shock:

Any advice would be SOOOO great.

Thanks.

[/img]

geopick

Manual?

Post by geopick » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:39 am

There is evidently no manual, nor is Help available from within LS Config. And by the way, none of my previous rules were imported. And I paid for the "beta" upgrade! Beta testing in reverse.

Re: Manual?

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:57 pm

geopick wrote:There is evidently no manual, nor is Help available from within LS Config. And by the way, none of my previous rules were imported. And I paid for the "beta" upgrade! Beta testing in reverse.

See...

http://forums.obdev.at/viewtopic.php?t=725