OSX 10.8.2 wake from sleep crash

General discussions about Little Snitch
earl

OSX 10.8.2 wake from sleep crash

Post by earl » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:26 pm

I have spent the last two weeks or so trying to resolve an issue with Mountain Lion 10.8.2 where it will not wake from deep sleep. The computer requires a hard shutdown and restart each time it sleeps for at least two or more hours. It appears to be a crash rather than just not waking from a black screen.

During this time I have tried every possible fix-it including two rounds of wiping my drive and reinstalling a fresh download of Mountain Lion, reinstalling or migrating software back-ups, SMC resets, PRAM resets, permissions repair etc. and have been working with a senior Apple tech support agent who has been talking to at least two of her engineers about my issue. No luck fixing this so far. (Apple has been great about this BTW)

Finally, I discovered that if I turn Bluetooth OFF the problem goes away and if I turn it back ON the problem returns. So, of course, I've been working with Apple to try to isolate the Bluetooth issue. Turning OFF Bluetooth is not a long term solution, however.

Two days ago, I noticed in a Console log that Little Snitch 3.0 had crashed just before the computer froze up during sleep when it entered the state where it will not wake.

So I completely uninstalled Little Snitch 3.0 and the problem is now apparently GONE after testing it repeatedly for twenty four hours or more with Bluetooth turned back ON.

Anyone else experienced this problem?

Looking at various forums across the internet including Apple's support communities the "wake from sleep" issues in 10.8.2 are very common but no solutions have appeared. I wonder how many posters to these forums might be running Little Snitch?

I am a long time Little Snitch user and miss it already so I will go back to an older version if I have to. For the time being I'm using my laptop and have been using my iMac as a sort of sandbox for trying different things in an attempt to analyze what is going on. Once this issue has been fully resolved my plan is to wipe my drive one more time and do a clean reinstall with a hopefully improved version of Little Snitch 3.0, assuming that really is the cause of my troubles.
I may try installing LS 3.01 but for the moment I want to see if the problem is really gone with LS removed from the system.

liberacion

Re: OSX 10.8.2 wake from sleep crash

Post by liberacion » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:28 am

Hi

I have exactly the same issue with LN 3. My iMac (ML 10.8.2) completely crashed after trying to wake it up. Rebooting did not help either. System hung. Had to resort to system restore.

Will immediately uninstall LN. For a long time LN fan and having just upgraded to LN 3 this comes as a great disappointment. Will revert to an earlier version now.

@Developer: Pls get your software fixed ASAP. Really not good to release beta quality software...

nihilbaxter

Post by nihilbaxter » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:27 am

Hi,

at least two other people experiencing crashes have the LS kext running:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4175088?start=15&tstart=0

Of course that does not necessarily mean the crashes are caused by LS (also non-LS users report crashes), but maybe there is a general kext problem with OS X 10.8.2?

This is very frustrating.

nihilbaxter

Stuart
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Stuart » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:19 am

Having the same problems. MBP (with Mountain Lion, LS3, etc.) often will not come out of sleep (just blank screen). Nothing does anything except holding down the power key - which sometimes prompts for the unlock password, sometimes prompts to log-in (user and password) and sometimes re-boots. LS crashes are appearing in the Console Log (Little Snitch Agent.app).

Very frustrating. No idea if resume from sleep is LS3 as the delays/weird resumes do not always have a corresponding LS crash. Both crashes happened during a Time Machine backup to a WiFi connected Time Capsule.

robberBaron

Post by robberBaron » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:06 pm

I am having the same problem. Kernel panics immediately after wake from sleep. LS is the only 3rd party kext that is loaded.
I've reinstalled ML and wiped/installed ML and the problems still persist.
Several Genius Bar visits and log inspections all point to LS.

Very frustrating.

Stuart
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Stuart » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:09 pm

robberBaron wrote:I am having the same problem. Kernel panics immediately after wake from sleep. LS is the only 3rd party kext that is loaded.
I've reinstalled ML and wiped/installed ML and the problems still persist.
Several Genius Bar visits and log inspections all point to LS.

Very frustrating.

I am on my 3rd rMBP now - as senior tech support decided it was a hardware issue. Yet the problems persist.

I now believe it is a Bluetooth driver issue and relates to bluetooth peripherals being switched off whilst the computer is in sleep. I get the crashes when I open the laptop (resume from sleep) and turn my Bluetooth mouse on at the same time. Crashes cause a System diagnostic log (viewed in Console application) and many seem to be "kernel_task" crashes, some show execution in "blued". Having searched around quite a bit I have found others who have the same issue.

My belief is that it is something going on between the WiFi drivers/hardware and Bluetooth drivers/hardware. Once (with a new machine) when I first switched on a Bluetooth mouse (first time ever switching on Bluetooth on MBP and mouse), I immediately lost the WiFi connection (i.e. great one minute but moment bluetooth because active, WiFi went and would not switch-on. Re-boot and both WiFi and Bluetooth worked fine. But that is just my theory based on minimal/no real evidence. However, I am convinced the issues are in the Bluetooth drivers (even if unrelated to WiFi).

And as with many such things, people who have the problem find all sorts of things "correct it" e.g. I saw one person reporting the removing Sophos anti-virus sorted the problems.

I use a Bluetooth mouse all the time (Logitech V470 mouse) - which I switch-off when I am leaving my computer for a bit. So no I resume laptop from sleep (open screen) and enter password THEN switch on the mouse and things are better. Or leave Bluetooth peripherals switched on.

Other issue (that may be related - difficult to say) is that occasionally resume from sleep is slow or does not happen (i.e. open screen and everything remains blank, but caps lock key still works/lights). Sometimes wait 10 secs, sometimes wait 1min+, sometimes have to hold power key for 10 secs, release, press power key again and computer re-boots (but without and diagnostic crash reports, though startup warning "Computer not shut down properly ...").

I do not believe LS is the problem (that said, I will not run the computer without LS to test that theory; particularly as mine crashes maybe once a day max. so LS would have to be removed for several days to prove anything in my situation.use).

(Just waiting for you to reply you never use Bluetooth on your computer !!!)

Stuart

pchadwic

Post by pchadwic » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:23 am

I'm having precisely the same issue. It is sporadic but began with LS302nightly. Wake from sleep yields dark grey screen with visible mouse cursor but no way to interact. Remoting in from another machine also does not work. LS crash log timestamp matches the second I attempted wake from sleep.

*EDIT: btw this does not happen on a 2 machines running 10.7.5 and one running 10.6.8

detlevski

Post by detlevski » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:53 pm

I can confirm the problem, for now I have uninstalled LS on my machine after numerous freezes as described above. On a 10.7.5 server I don't have any problems with LS 3.0.2.
Today I uninstalled LS, if these freezes disappear I will post this here and if they persist I will do so too.
It's a pity that I have to do this, but I have to eliminate every possible cause for these freezes, the freezes make sleeping impossible ..
There are a lot of reports like this, a lot of them starting with the 10.8.2 update.

Did you all contacted Obdev support and send your crashreports ?

pchadwic

Post by pchadwic » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:16 pm

Hi: This issue was fixed a few days after my last post with the release of 3.0.2 3894...at least for me. I have not seen the sleep/freeze behavior since that update.

detlevski

Post by detlevski » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:39 pm

That is good to hear, so the crashes where LS related.
But I had build 3894 installed, if LS is involved, it does not solve my crashes.
Thanks for your info.

pchadwic

Post by pchadwic » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:51 pm

That sucks; sorry to hear that. I am running 10.8.2 and the 3894 update definitely made the sleep crash (which was happening several times per week) go away for me. Perhaps looking at your system logs in Console will point you toward another possibility.

Good luck!

detlevski

Post by detlevski » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:57 am

Uninstalled LS two days ago and my freezes are gone !
So if you are experiencing freezes and the mouse and keyboard become responsive uninstall LS and try if your freezes stop.
In my setup this was the way to solve the freezes, I had no problems with LS with 10.8 and 10.8.1, the day after the 10.8.2 update the freezes started.
It is a combination where even other sofware might be involved, I have filed a bug report, but haven't heard anything.
I was using the latest build form version 3.02.

That's a pity, because I do not like the idea of using my mac without LS installed, there are numurous reports from other people to be found which indicate that
there might be an issue with 10.8.2. So it would be good to get a response from the devs.

Kerberos

Post by Kerberos » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:14 pm

I'd like to buy LS for a 10th anniversary. But i have 10.8.2 and i'm worried about this crash you are talking about, since i often put my MBP to sleep and don't want it to crash.
Does it happen to all of you?

detlevski

Post by detlevski » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:14 am

I use an iMac, with a second monitor, there are many people with LS installed using 10.8.2 without any problems. I did send the spindumps and a system report to ObDev, they replied and informed me of the 3.0.3 nightly which indeed fixed my freezes. It might be possible I have a specific setup, causing my imac to freeze with LS 3.0.2. installed. I don't know that, but I would buy LS for the reduced price if I were you.
Once you are used to protecting your outgoing traffic you don't want to be without LS again ..