Hidden gates in the e-mails in little snatch

General discussions about Little Snitch
l_rivers

Hidden gates in the e-mails in little snatch

Post by l_rivers » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:33 pm

Upon upgrading to Little Snitch 3.0 I decided to actually mount the monitor and watch my CPU and network. I run Snow Leopard, Mac OS 10.6, on a Mac Pro.
I keep the little snitch network monitor on the right-hand side of the screen and my writing and application windows to the left so I can keep an eye out. And I noticed that my e-mail program, postbox, has a notation of “27 servers” and a list of various websites linked to businesses or tracking organizations that seem to be some kind of application hidden in the text of e-mail messages.

In other words there seems to be 27 pieces of e-mail with some kind of active link in them. What am I to make of this? One of them of course is my own e-mail host, but PayPal and double-click and Google analytics are there to.

Are these lists of links I can make active by clicking them, in other words gateways to potential trouble? Have they a life of their own that simply by reading an e-mail or passing the cursor over their link some mysterious process that I cannot control is initiated?

Thank you

hagen
Wizard
Wizard

Re: Hidden gates in the e-mails in little snatch

Post by hagen » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:21 am

l_rivers wrote:Upon upgrading to Little Snitch 3.0 I decided to actually mount the monitor and watch my CPU and network. I run Snow Leopard, Mac OS 10.6, on a Mac Pro.
I keep the little snitch network monitor on the right-hand side of the screen and my writing and application windows to the left so I can keep an eye out. And I noticed that my e-mail program, postbox, has a notation of “27 servers” and a list of various websites linked to businesses or tracking organizations that seem to be some kind of application hidden in the text of e-mail messages.

In other words there seems to be 27 pieces of e-mail with some kind of active link in them. What am I to make of this? One of them of course is my own e-mail host, but PayPal and double-click and Google analytics are there to.

It's very likely that emails contain active links. The way they work is to direct your email client (Postbox) to make the connections and download pictures or other content. Limits on what they can do will depend on how much Postbox can or will do.

Connections shown in Network Monitor have already been allowed, or blocked if shown in red.

Some connections might also be from Postbox itself. The website says it's "The most socially connected email client around", with integrations to almost everything it seems.

-snip- a tiny portion from the website
"Social connections add a personal touch
-Profile photos from Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Gravatar and the Address Book
-Automatically displays job titles and company names from LinkedIn
-Quick and easy access to LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter profile pages
-Update status directly to Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn"

I don't know what all that means, but it sounds like a chatty app to me.

Are these lists of links I can make active by clicking them, in other words gateways to potential trouble? Have they a life of their own that simply by reading an e-mail or passing the cursor over their link some mysterious process that I cannot control is initiated?

You can control it with Littlesnitch. Allow connections to your email host, and wherever else you want, block the rest. The question is, you're running a "socially connected" app, how much do you really want?

l_rivers

Post by l_rivers » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:03 am

Thanks a lot!

I suspected that this program might be a friend with loose lips.

But Eudora and then Thunderbird went the way of the dinosaurs and Postbox seemed a way I could retain cross-platform capability.

Now I will have to learn how all this stuff interconnects so I can control it.

:?

paulc
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by paulc » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:25 pm

Local dinosaur here... boy am I getting a ton of LaunchCFM messages, can be 2-3 each piece of mail. Used the analyze function to see that it was actually Rosetta (uh, Eudora eh). I THINK it seems to be telling me that LS3 is just more fine grained than LS2. Probably time for an any connection/forever rule!