Define Local Network?

General discussions about Little Snitch
ayampols

Define Local Network?

Post by ayampols » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:49 pm

Hello,

I have a question about using Little Snitch on a large internal network. I want to allow outgoing connections to any resource on this network, but I can't figure out how to define the network. Simply selecting "local network" in the rule doesn't work, because that seems to restrict the definition to my current subnet, which is only a sliver of the entire corporate network. A range of IP address would work for me as well, but I can't seem to figure out how to specify that either.

Basically, I am looking for either of these two options:

Little Snitch understands "Local Network" to mean 3.*.*.*
    I can define a rule that allows connection to an IP address matching the pattern 3.*.*.*
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
-Armen

hagen
Wizard
Wizard

Re: Define Local Network?

Post by hagen » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:42 pm

From the Littlesnitch 3 help file:

"Local Network: This placeholder represents IP addresses of all computers which you can reach without going through a router. In practice, these are usually all computers in your home or office or in the same Internet Cafe."

"Numeric Sets: Addresses can be entered as single IP address (e.g. 10.0.0.1), a range of addresses (e.g. 10.0.0.1-10.0.0.9), a range in CDIR notation (e.g. 192.168.0.0/16) or a comma separated list of addresses and ranges."

Stuart
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Stuart » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:37 am

It sounds like you are using a different definition of "local network" to your computer. I can see that for you "local" means within a short walking distance (or maybe without going out in the rain). Unfortunately your computer does not appreciate things like where external walls are, layout of annexes, nor if your company has rented the neighbouring building. Some people might consider their overseas subsidiary companies as "local network" because it is all under their control (e.g. via a VPN), whereas other people might limit "local" to their own building or floor, etc..

Stuart

ayampols

Post by ayampols » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:27 pm

hagen wrote:a range in CDIR notation (e.g. 192.168.0.0/16)
Perfect! Thank you, I never saw that section in the help file.