Beta's Menu Bar Functionality

General discussions about Little Snitch
schalliol

Beta's Menu Bar Functionality

Post by schalliol » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:38 pm

I really like the Beta's bandwidth monitoring, along-side the pop-up. I wonder whether the menu bar portion could be made into a menu like shown in iSlayer's iStat Menu to show throughput up and down (kbps). I ask because the current graph doesn't give you much idea about the throughput.

le

Re: Beta's Menu Bar Functionality

Post by le » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:38 pm

schalliol wrote:I wonder whether the menu bar portion could be made into a menu like shown in iSlayer's iStat Menu to show throughput up and down (kbps). I ask because the current graph doesn't give you much idea about the throughput.

I second that.

wimpus

Post by wimpus » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:25 pm

+1

aps

Re: Beta's Menu Bar Functionality

Post by aps » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:47 pm

I have been using Net Monitor (http://homepage.mac.com/rominar/net.html) for years. I configure it to show a little tape of net traffic in the menu bar along with bandwidth (averaged over the last 2 seconds or so). It's great. As I believe screen real estate is important, especially that of the menu bar, the menu bar bandwidth meters should be optional, separately from the pop-up transaction detail windows.

Having said that, I want to say I REALLY like the idea of Snitch's Pop-up window showing details of the transactions. It might alleviate my use of StreamWatcher.... Very cool.

armando

schalliol wrote:I really like the Beta's bandwidth monitoring, along-side the pop-up. I wonder whether the menu bar portion could be made into a menu like shown in iSlayer's iStat Menu to show throughput up and down (kbps). I ask because the current graph doesn't give you much idea about the throughput.

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:06 pm

It sounds like if we could merge that with Little Snitch's pop-up window, that would be excellent.

I would also be interesting if there could be some integration with the freeware iStat Menu I mentioned, as it could expand the market. i.e. buy Little Snitch and enhance the network menubar. One nice thing about iStat Menu is that you can configure it a number of ways (and even adjust the width and colors of the menu information on the fly). I posted a similar item in iStat Menu's forum.

schalliol

Post by schalliol » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:44 pm

I would also note that it doesn't seem that you can move the menu icon within the menubar. However, you can move around Apple's menubar icons, as well as iStat Menu, WeatherPop, Sound Menu, etc. Is there some coding necessary to support this command option drag? If so, that would be nice to integrate so we can make sure it's at the right spot in the menu.