Any other similar programs available?

General discussions about Little Snitch

Any other similar programs available?

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:15 am

Reading this forum, there seem to be many claims of security breeches in Little Snitch. This makes me wonder, are there any other programs that perform a similar function? (I don't know of any.)
I personally feel uncomfortable putting the security of my computer in the hands of a small shareware developer in Europe. (I am in the USA.)
A large security-software company would be better. The best thing would be an open source project. What if an unscrupulous company like Microsoft or Adobe gave ObDev a large kick-back to bypass their products? How would we know? In an open-source project, the code would be available to show this.
Does anybody have a recommendation?

FredB
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by FredB » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:02 pm

I personally feel uncomfortable putting the security of my computer in the hands of a small shareware developer in Europe. (I am in the USA.)
A large security-software company would be better.

Wow. Because europeans must be dishonest or something? Contrarily to large US companies which are always ethical? Are you kidding or are you that xenophobic?

I personally would feel uncomfortable putting the security of my computer in the hands of companies like Microsoft, Symantec, Adobe and the like.

Objective Development makes software for a long time (more than 10 years).
Do you really think you can stay in business that long if you're just there for a quick buck? Mac community is small and something like that would be known immediately.

I'll quote what I wrote in another thread:

Maybe what you describe is the case in the Windows world, but not in the Mac world.
Shareware devs make a great part of the mac experience, in fact shareware are often better than what big corps make. I could write a novel on the problems I had with e.g. Symantec (Norton) products, compared to the efficiency of tools like Disk Warrior, LittleSnitch, SuperDuper!, etc.

If you need more examples, I can give you a lot.

If you only trust "large software companies". Good luck.

Mauri

Post by Mauri » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:01 pm

sure. you can use intego netbarrier.
Intego is a "VERY SERIOUS" software company because the make a lot of noise about a tiny unimportant script and call them virus just to sell there product virus barrier. if you like stuff like that you have to buy this product! :D

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:39 am

Perhaps he was referring to the issues of support and liability when he mentioned that the company was overseas. Do they have even have a US office? (dumb question)

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:45 am

There is a nice (free) antivirus software called ClamXav. It is based on open-source virus definitions. More trustworthy than Norton or Intego because of that.
I don't know of any open-source firewall programs.

grr74

Post by grr74 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:58 am

Anonymous wrote:I don't know of any open-source firewall programs.

There is one that I am aware of called WaterRoof.
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/23317/waterroof

Knubbi

Re: Any other similar programs available?

Post by Knubbi » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:40 am

Anonymous wrote:I personally feel uncomfortable putting the security of my computer in the hands of a small shareware developer in Europe. (I am in the USA.)
A large security-software company would be better. The best thing would be an open source project. What if an unscrupulous company like Microsoft or Adobe gave ObDev a large kick-back to bypass their products? How would we know? In an open-source project, the code would be available to show this.

USA? Large "security company"? Confidence? Open Source = Safe?

What funny posting. This must be meant as a satire.

1. Europe have much more restrictive privacy laws.

2. The buzzword "Open Source" does not necessarily mean increased security unless YOU know and trust the developers or if would be able and willing to read through the complete source code. Do you?

3. Large companies do much development outsourcing to india and russia. Do you still feel comfortable?

4. Do you believe that you get better support from a Symantec callcenter in India rather than from a dedicated team who are living for "their baby"?