Forced update expensive for previous supporters?

General discussions about Little Snitch
sriggins

Post by sriggins » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:44 am

I'm sorry but as a Macintosh developer myself, if you upgrade your operating system, the developer is by no means required to give you a free upgrade to his software. Most do it out of kindness, but sometimes it requires a hell of a lot of effort and sometimes an entirely new product.

If you like the feature set of little snitch 1.0, stick with Tiger.

People treat software as if it is clay that should just work on any OS and have little or no respect for the work involved on something as intricate as a firewall.

sriggins

Re: Forced update expensive for previous supporters?

Post by sriggins » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:45 am

dissapointed wrote:I think I will go back to sourcing it elsewhere!!

:cry:

Fine, be a thief, and go to jail with the rest of them. Grow up. :)
Last edited by sriggins on Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

privacy47

Sriggins: get your quote right!!!

Post by privacy47 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:28 am

Hey SRIGGINS:

Privacy47 did not make that quote.

Please fix your post.

Privacy47

Post by Privacy47 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:43 pm

Sriggins: Thank you for fixing your post and getting the quote right.

privacy47

Post by privacy47 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:18 am

FredB stated
compared to the efficiency of tools like Disk Warrior, LittleSnitch, SuperDuper!, etc.

SuperDuper is offering free upgrades to their "version 2".

Disk Warrior is charging an upgrade fee, however they actually mail you a startup-disk. Please note that the upgrade fee is still less than half of the original cost.

payshunz

greedy? No, I don't think so.

Post by payshunz » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:16 am

privacy47 wrote:FredB stated
compared to the efficiency of tools like Disk Warrior, LittleSnitch, SuperDuper!, etc.

SuperDuper is offering free upgrades to their "version 2".

Disk Warrior is charging an upgrade fee, however they actually mail you a startup-disk. Please note that the upgrade fee is still less than half of the original cost.

Privacy47

As the upgrade cost is only $12.95, and as you don't HAVE to upgrade to continue using LS, and as having to pay for an upgrade to an application is nothing new, nor is it unreasonable/outrageous/greedy/etc., either pay for the upgrade or don't, the choice is yours.

I've paid for upgrades to DragThing and Pathfinder, both apps I have come to use extensively, and I will willingly pay in the future for improvements to and the modernizing of these apps. The same goes with LS. I find it very useful and plan to continue using it, for which I willingly paid the modest upgrade fee.

Go complain to Microsoft about the high cost of Office upgrades if you want to point out a company's greediness...

privacy47

Post by privacy47 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:40 pm

Payshunz:
You can continue to use Jaguar, Panther, OS9, or whatever you use to check your email and surf the internet with. Or what is that program you mentioned? Oh Yea. MICROSOFT OFFICE!!! Is that what you consider important software? GEE WIZZ!!!

Some of us actually do serious business on our computers. And run more serious programs than OFFICE!!!

These programs usually require the latest OS.

ObDev has made it clear that Version 1 will not work on Leopard when it is released. So, if I need to run the latest OS, then I am FORCED TO UPGRADE to Little Snitch 2. Stop telling me I'm not.

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:58 pm

privacy47 wrote:Payshunz:

ObDev has made it clear that Version 1 will not work on Leopard when it is released

Hm,
1. Do you blame ObDev for Apple releasing 10.5?
2. Do you blame ObDev for Apple breaking LS 1.0 (if that is true?)?

Whatever, there is Apple supposedly changing the way a 3thd Party app (Little Snitch) works and you complain to the developer of said application instead to Apple?

:roll:

FredB
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by FredB » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:02 am

@privacy47

If you're doing "serious business on your computer", why do you spend so much time whining for 13 bucks instead of working?
Any decent work should give you more than $13 for that time.

privacy47

Post by privacy47 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:45 pm

Would it kill the developer to also release an update to version 1 for Leopard? We supported the developer. Now is their chance to show appreciation. If they don't update version 1, that is showing us that Little Snitch Version 2 might only work for one OS update. If even that long. Is that the message ObDev wants to give to their supporters?

No Privacy47

TFSU

Post by No Privacy47 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:53 am

privacy47 would you just TFSU! Really, you're the biggest whiner in the Mac community, and a disgrace to the rest of the Mac users. If you don't have the $12.95 to upgrade then ride your scooter for a week and use the gas money you saved to upgrade.

Re: TFSU

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:07 am

I cannot believe you guys are spending this much time dicking around over 13 bucks.

weisheimer

Post by weisheimer » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:30 pm

He has a point

Howard

Great product

Post by Howard » Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:14 am

They DESERVE our support, how can anyone make a living by selling a product one time, and then be expected to service it forever? This is an excellent and unique product and the price is certainly not exorbitant. When Apple charges you for Leopard, they are in essence rendering Little Snitch obsolete. Why should we expect a fix, never mind an update, for free?