KSFETCH what is it?

General discussions about Little Snitch
TuckerdogNC

KSFETCH what is it?

Postby TuckerdogNC » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:07 am

I am getting this caught 5 - 6 times a day. Any idea what this is? Also, I love how I get the snitchs but how do you know if it's a good or a bad thing when all you see is the http or code?

hagen
Wizard
Wizard

Re: KSFETCH what is it?

Postby hagen » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:36 am

Interesting, I can't find anything about ksfetch on the 'net.

Where does ksfetch reside in the file system? In the Network Monitor window, click the name to expand it, and its location will be shown.

Does anything not work if you deny the connection?

TomMcIn

Postby TomMcIn » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:29 am

tcpblock blocks 4 outgoing calls to IP addresses associated with GOOGLE every hour. They started just after I tried using Google Chrome. I am running OSX 10.7.4. Reboots have not made the go away.

ddease2

Postby ddease2 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:51 pm

Has anyone figured out what this process is?

I originally thought it had to do with Google Drive, but I killed that app and process for a few hours and the ksfetch still showed up in Lil Snitch.

Thoughts?

DRD2

TomMcIn

Postby TomMcIn » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:41 pm

As near as I can find out, it is a new way that Google slithered in to check on updates to programs like Google Earth and Chrome. I have deleted files in LaunchAgents and made the Google files inaccessible = permissions 000 and ksfetch keeps running every hour. The "Do No Harm" company is full of it.

John Galt

Postby John Galt » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:59 am

How do I get this warning to go away?

It's driving me nuts. I keep telling it to "Always Allow" but it keeps popping up several times per hour.

TomMcIn

Postby TomMcIn » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:11 am

This topic has also been discussed in https://productforums.google.com/forum/ ... KTRKVXFdAJ where someone from Google tried to explain the situation. ksfetch is the new way Google started using to keep programs like Google Chrome up to date and secure. The approach leaves a little to be desired as it just runs, regardless of what the user tries to do.

John Galt

Postby John Galt » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:32 am

I am not using Chrome but I do have Google Drive installed. I don't really care if it want to do whatever it's doing. What's driving me nuts is that is that I keep telling Little Snitch to "Always Allow" it but it still keeps popping up. What's the deal here, is Google changing something each time it tries to call it? I just want Little Snitch to stop asking me about!

TomMcIn

Postby TomMcIn » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:30 am

I recall a reply in the other forum concluded that Google is creating something new each time. I was getting 4 different addresses accessed each hour, even after I removed the google entry from my users LaunchAgents which I thought was the place OS X handled the starting of all scheduled events.

buzzart

Postby buzzart » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:27 am

To stop the ksfetch (Google's auto-updater software) from checking every hour run the following in terminal:

defaults write com.google.Keystone.Agent checkInterval 604800

604800 is a week in seconds. Divide by 7 to check daily.

Keystone agent is generating a new temporary executable file on each update check. This is why Little Snitch is asking repeatedly for permission. If Little Snitch were updated to allow regex for name checking then this could be solved. No doubt this would introduce other issues that would need to be considered.

sealos

Postby sealos » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:56 pm

Ugh, experiencing this ever since I installed the GM of Mountain Lion and installed LS DP4.

I tried using the terminal command, but it is still happening. I hope this gets fixed for the final release because I never experienced it before with Lion and LS.

Thanks.

karinsmusic

Postby karinsmusic » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:04 pm

ksfetch issue is also driving me crazy, I am using little snitchas well and running OS 10.5.8 / no chrome/ using firefox/ I do have the google toolbar and gmail (google) so not sure where this is stemming from. :?:

Tried the terminal writing fix above...... did not work :(
tried the Library-cmd i fix above .....did not work :(

Any other ideas? Thanks....

hagen
Wizard
Wizard

Postby hagen » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:45 am

You could try allowing All Applications to the port and IP address(es) that KSFETCH asks for. That might work if there aren't many such addresses. Most likely no other process will even want to go there, and Google addresses are probably "safe" enough anyway.

Let us know what happens!

soboku

Postby soboku » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:52 am

Well I just removed any and all Google apps to stop this so I hope Google and little snitch can figure this out. The only app I would like to have is ChromeCast but till this can get fixed its less frustrating living without chromecast then putting up with the Constant alerts.

Return to “Little Snitch General”