If LS tells me, app connects to xy.com, does it really?

General discussions about Little Snitch
mkalina

If LS tells me, app connects to xy.com, does it really?

Post by mkalina » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:23 pm

Hi,

I, sorry, Little Snitch recently caught the backup-software "Arq" trying to connect to static.tumblr.com, which I blocked as I do not see why Arq, which uploads my data to s3.amazonaws.com (S3) needs a connection to static.tumblr.com.

When I asked the developer of Arq about this on Twitter, he told me that Little Snitch just "chose" to show me static.tumblr.com, which is an alias for s3.amazonaws.com (see here: https://twitter.com/#!/arqbackup/status ... 0640658432).

Does Little Snitch just choose which url to show to me or is it Arq that specifically wanted to connect to this very url?

Thank you,
Michael

hagen
Wizard
Wizard

Re: If LS tells me, app connects to xy.com, does it really?

Post by hagen » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:36 am

I don't know who or what "chose" to show static.tumblr.com instead of s3.amazonaws.com, but they are one and the same. Static.tumblr.com is an alias for s3.amazonaws.com.

You can see this with Network Utility, lookup tab. Type in static.tumblr.com and click "Lookup". It says, among other things, "static.tumblr.com. 40904 IN CNAME s3.amazonaws.com".

If you look up CNAME in Google or your preferred search engine, you'll find that aliases or "Canonical Names" are part of the DNS system. Everything's fine.

I learned this when I asked a similar question here viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5402 wondering if Apple was playing tricks.