After installing Firefox 7, Little Snitch is going crazy

General discussions about Little Snitch
BigMac64

After installing Firefox 7, Little Snitch is going crazy

Post by BigMac64 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:48 am

I upgraded to Firefox 7 today. Now I wished I hadn't.

In Firefox 7, Little Snitch is asking a rule on every web page.

The only way I could see to get rid of this situation is to tell Little Snitch to allow every connection in Firefox 7.

Not an ideal situation.

Wondering if anyone else is dealing with the same issue?

BigMac64

Re: After installing Firefox 7, Little Snitch is going crazy

Post by BigMac64 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:49 am

I should have stated that I am running 10.7.1.

hagen
Wizard
Wizard

Post by hagen » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:03 pm

Take a close look at your rules for Safari, or whatever browser you have been using. That probably has a rule to allow all port 80 connections, and another for port 443. Duplicate for Firefox whatever browser rules you've been using.

Allowing all connections for ports 80 and 443 is usual for browsers, otherwise you can't use the Internet.

Port 80 is standard (http://) activity, and port 443 is for encrypted (https://) connections.

kuk
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kuk » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:06 pm

I also experienced similar weirdness after updating to Fx 7. Unless I allowed the requests, I was unable to connect anywhere (there were three or four requests specific to several URLs, and they constantly reappeared after every quit/reopen, even if allowed temporarily.) I denied all the requests, this time permanently, saw I couldn't connect anywhere as before, went to rules and discovered that the requests must have been coming, strangely, from firefox-bin (not the usual Firefox where port 80 and port 443 were already allowed -- firefox-bin, I believe, is the Fx process, not the app) and that these new deny rules for firefox-bin were set to deny all port 80/443, not just those specific three or four sites. After I deleted those new rules, all the requests disappeared, I am able to connect anywhere as usual, and nothing more has been heard from firefox-bin since.

I have no idea why the update to Fx 7 caused this behavior.

Artemis

Post by Artemis » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:01 pm

This happened to me too! At first I was like...okay maybe this is that new thing I allowed firefox to do (send themselves non personal information to improve firefox) but then I realized EVERY SINGLE WEBSITE I went to prompted a new rule. So I went into Little Snitch and found that there was a new thing called Firefox Bin and there was Firefox. Well, I deleted both from Little Snitch, then opened Firefox again and allowed port 80 and port 443, and I'm not getting the crazyness anymore.

Anyone know why Little Snitch reacted so badly to the update?

mustbjones
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by mustbjones » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:41 pm

I am getting the same result. If you look at the rules though - I see two entries for FireFox. One is for Firefox - bin, and the other is for Firefox. The -bin one contains all the old rules, and the plain Firefox all the new. So, where is the disconnect coming from?

kuk
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kuk » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:21 pm

I don't think the firefox-bin one belongs. You will see it has a generic icon and those rules will not be effective. I would change all the rules there from firefox-bin to Firefox, from Applications>Choose. This will give you the Firefox icon. You'll see that if you try to create a new rule using firefox-bin, LS will give you a question mark or say the application no longer exists. Forget for which Fx version (never looked from 4 to 6, so don't know about that) but I used to see firefox-bin in Activity Monitor, maybe along with Fx with the icon. But no longer, just Firefox (with the icon.) Just after you install 7, I think all the prompts to "allow" are coming from Firefox (with the icon) because all the former ones for some reason have been moved over to the generic, now useless firefox-bin.

Luddish

Post by Luddish » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:08 am

I'm pretty sure what has happened is that when updating to Firefox 7, the system temporarily transferred the earlier version to a file called Firefox-bin. Little Snitch followed this path, then when the new version of Firefox was installed, Little Snitch considered that a new application. Should be fine to duplicate your Firefox-bin rules to Firefox.

On the other hand, I have a different problem since upgrading. I have a global rule for all applications, "deny connections to earthlink-help.com" which did fine to prevent web browsers from loading to that page with the old firefox. Now, the "allow TCP connections to port 80" user rule for Firefox overrides it, when in the past, it did not. I have no idea why. I've added a global deny rule to all applications, "deny TCP connections to port 80 of earthlink-help.com," but the allow TCP connections to port 80 still overrides that.

Why would the override heirarchy change suddenly?

The reason for the deny rule, is because earthlink-help.com is a legacy system that was supposed to generate revenue for earthlink by loading ads when a called page is invalid. They abandoned the project, but it has been the cause of the enigmatic "automountd" calls to port 111, which seems like a security issue.

LS 2.3.3

Thanks for any help in restoring the old override heirarchy that worked for about a year.