Sparkle framework

General discussions about Little Snitch
fcarg

Sparkle framework

Post by fcarg » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:15 am

I am really upset with ObDev. I won't thank them for something that should be there because every app out there that does something important uses the Sparkle framework (http://sparkle.andymatuschak.org/) to deal with updates. I've paid for Little Snitch and I don't think that any Mac application that lacks sparkle is truly good. Little Snitch is not cheap and I've convinced two people to buy it already, I know a lot of people who'd rather pirate the app but I always say how good it is but I am totally annoyed and there's no going back, I won't recommend Little Snitch to anyone unless Sparkle is implemented on the next update, I think that it's outrageous that I have to keep visiting the webpage to check for updates and also pretty sad that sometimes I have to run the app out of date for months before I realise that it's been updated. ObDev, get your act together and implement Sparkle in Little Snitch, it's the least you could do for your customers who paid for your product when many people pirate it, show us some appreciation as we are supporting your work and filling up your pockets.

CrisBLS

Re: Sparkle framework

Post by CrisBLS » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:28 pm

Hear, hear.

I totally agree!

fcarg

Post by fcarg » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:54 am

Please see this:

This would allow people to chose automatic updates OR disabling this function at all, so the person who doesn't like auto updates would be happy and the ones who need autoupdates also would be happy.

This uses Sparkle, which is free to implement.

The screenshot I used is from 1Password which in my view is a great application, and guess what? Their development team actually listens to their customers, they've implemented things I suggested and did it quick.

Seems like good companies are hard to find nowadays.

JDW1

Post by JDW1 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:34 am

I wish to cast my vote for the Sparkle Framework. It was mentioned in the recent issue of Macworld magazine (USA). The author of the article mentioned that he is unpleasantly surprised these days when a Mac software program does NOT have Sparkle. I agree. Is 2011, folks. You've got some great software already. Let's keep it up to speed.

Here are some other threads that have spoken about this, since 2007 in fact!:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3821&hilit=sparkle
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5177&hilit=sparkle
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1174&hilit=sparkle

manfred
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by manfred » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:20 pm

I can't talk about the details of implementations and I can't give you a concrete release date. But I can confirm that the auto update feature is definitely coming. Stay tuned :)

fcarg

Post by fcarg » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:43 pm

So manfred, your last post was on March. We're in 2012 now... when is the feature coming? I'll say never LOL.It's shameful how you guys can't implement something in almost a year... a framework that's practically ready for you to put in your app. I'm keeping up with it from your release notes, and I can't see the feature there yet. So tell me, did you guys finally do it? Or did you just really give a vague and meaningless answer to people so they could buy something inferior in quality? LOL... how sad.

r.giskard
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by r.giskard » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:22 pm

Automatic software updates are already available. Have a look at this related topic:

http://forums.obdev.at/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3821&p=20344&hilit=Automatic#p20327

fcarg

Post by fcarg » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:38 pm

But that's not a GM release, is it? As long as they take to release a GM build, it's not really there, is it? Who wants to run an app that deals with kernel extensions without it being stable?

I'm happy to know that they finally implemented it, even though it's not a GM release... let's see how long until they make it available to the general public.

r.giskard wrote:Automatic software updates are already available. Have a look at this related topic:

http://forums.obdev.at/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3821&p=20344&hilit=Automatic#p20327

manfred
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by manfred » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:01 pm

Usually our nightly builds are quite stable and extensively tested. The current nightly build is identical to version 2.4.4 except a few bug fixes and the software update feature. You do not have to expect any kernel panics as long as your system runs fine using version 2.4.4.