Logfile

General discussions about Little Snitch
PeterMoller

Logfile

Post by PeterMoller » Tue May 11, 2010 9:57 am

I have a MBP that's managed by Jamf software's Casper Suite and with a remote account (as well as local accounts). If I have LS enabled, I can't log in; I get as far as seeing the background, but then it stops. I have tried to add the servers I know should be allowed, but it doesn't help (being able to use wildcards in the rules would help a lot here). A logfile would be *very nice*! I notice that there are a couple of such files:
• /Library/Logs/LittleSnitchDaemon.log
• /Users/pm/Library/Logs/Little\ Snitch\ Network\ Monitor.log
• /Users/pm/Library/Logs/Little Snitch UIAgent.log
but they are either completely empty or without any useful information. It would help very much to be able to sit on the side with a ssh-connection and watch the log file as it grows when I am trying to log in to the GHUI.

Am I missing something?

paulc
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Logfile

Post by paulc » Tue May 11, 2010 3:26 pm

Now that we at lest know wildcards are in the devs sites, perhaps comprehensive logging is next? At least, that would be my hope...

muzso

Post by muzso » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:27 pm

The option for a logfile seems essential for debugging an app like this and I cannot really imagine the development of LS without the ability to log connection alerts and approval/deny events. Since logging is not available in the public version, I guess it's only enabled in the debug builds used during development and testing.

It'd be very helpful for users too if logging could be enabled in the production builds. As Peter pointed out: login and logout/shutdown issues are a pain in the ... to debug without a logfile.
Eg. I've now around 200 rules. I recently did a thorough refactoring of my LS rules and since then during shutdown I see the spinning wheel (not the rainbow like wheel, but the one that appears during boot, before the GUI kicks in) for a couple of seconds. Not too annoying (shutdown takes approx. 5s longer now), but still ... it's something "new" that appeared right after I touched my LS rules. Loading my old ruleset makes the problem go away. Unfortunately I changed a few dozen rules and narrowing down the suspect list to the one rule that causes the issue seems like a few hours of experimentation. Whereas with an LS logfile I could find the problematic rule on the first try.

Please, consider "some" support for a logfile in LS.
I guess that 99% of the users that are in need of a logfile would be fully satisfied without any extra features (like rotation and/or logfile size limit, GUI for logfile analysis, etc.).
A simple on/off switch would do the trick for most of us. And I assume that the actual logging part is already in the codebase of LS so it should be really easy to add a simple on/off switch to the configuration GUI.
Thanks anyway. LS is a very good product, one of it's kind actually for the Mac OS X platform. :-)

grahamperrin

launchd-shutdown.system.log

Post by grahamperrin » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:46 am

muzso wrote:… shutdown issues are a pain in the ... to debug …

In Mountain Lion:

/private/var/log/com.apple.launchd/launchd-shutdown.system.log

I tested Build 12A269 of OS X 10.8 for around two weeks before it was released, with particular attention to shut down behaviours in difficult situations. Whilst I have not watched any videos from WWDC 2012, I do have a sense that Apple has worked very hard to prevent the need for force in all but the most difficult situations.

Whether the logging is improved compared to Lion I don't know, but it's worth a look.

paulc
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by paulc » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:51 pm

Speaking of shut-down... FWIW, ever since I enabled Time Machine, my shut-downs have gone to normal to as long as 10-12 minutes later.

asbflif

Post by asbflif » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:21 am

+1 a log file woul be really nice ;-)