"automountd" connects to "fakehome.dat"

General discussions about Little Snitch
Snow

"automountd" connects to "fakehome.dat"

Postby Snow » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:32 am

Hi, not sure if it is Ok to ask a question like this here, but I will give it a shot.

I got a message from LS that:

"automountd"
wants to connect to fakehome.dat on UDP port 111
Port 111 UDP (sunrpc)

It seems to be a possible new, ummm, "feature" in SuperDuper!, since it pops up while starting up SuperDuper!

TIA

PS, Running SL and the newest SuperDuper!

era3

Re: "automountd" connects to "fakehome.dat"

Postby era3 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:41 pm

Same problem here...
This seems to result from an RPC call (UDP port 111) to an IP address owned by my ISP. Can't see why I would want to mount a volume from there, though.
Does anyone have any clue as to why this might be happening?
--befuddled, confused and clueless

Luddish

Postby Luddish » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:52 am

Folks with the automountd and backups.backupdb issue might find this snippet enlightening as well:

"In August 2006 EarthLink teamed up with Yahoo and Barefruit to redirect web browser users accessing nonexistent domains to a page containing sponsored search results, ads, and a Yahoo search form. The DNS protocol requires that a query for a nonexistent domain must return the "NXDOMAIN" error response. Instead of this response, EarthLink's DNS servers return several IP addresses for the HTTP servers that implement their redirection service. While such redirection might be helpful to users of some web browsers, it breaks the functionality of many other Internet applications, which assume that the DNS is implemented according to the standard specifications. Earthlink provide a non-patched DNS server address to enable users to have a standard NXD response, which they can use if they manually configure DNS in their systems.

Barefruit suggests a range of opt-out methods which some of their customer ISPs have applied."

From the Wikipedia entry for "Barefruit."

If you have this issue and don't use Earthlink, it might be helpful if you would add something here.

hagen
Wizard
Wizard

Postby hagen » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:51 am

Here's another piece to the puzzle. It's about Time Machine, but looks similar to the SuperDuper issue.

http://installingcats.com/2008/06/01/au ... s-backupd/

JimTurney

Postby JimTurney » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:36 pm

LS gave me this same request (automountd wants to connect to fakehome.dat on port 111) as I was installing TomTom Home (Mac app to get GPS device updates downloaded from TomTom.com) a few days ago and since then LS asks again every time when I boot my Mac. I deleted TomTom Home app and related files a few minutes ago and re-booted with no LS request for permission.

TLeaming

Postby TLeaming » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:56 am

I had also recently installed TomTom Home in the last few month or so, and was seeing the same annoying message.

I think I have resolved the problem:
1) Go into System Preferences -> User & Groups -> Login Items (primary acct in my case)
2) Unlock the padlock to enable changes
3) Find the TomTom Home helper and REMOVE it from the list (select & click the minus sign)
4) Close System Preferences
5) Reboot to check: No more requests to connect to fakehome.dat by automountd on startup.

stupendous

Postby stupendous » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:28 am

I was getting a similar 'automountd' request every time I started up Final Cut Pro 7. I decided to trash the FCP7 prefs, problem solved. The connection it was trying to make related to a Quicktime movie that I'd made, but I'm not sure what it was trying to connect to UDP port 111 (sunrpc) IP Address 127.0.53.53

Return to “Little Snitch General”