Can LS Use Block Lists?

General discussions about Little Snitch
docjynx

Can LS Use Block Lists?

Post by docjynx » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:11 am

I am interested in using Little Snitch but would want to still be able to use block lists to avoid contact with many ip's. Here is where most people get the lists http://iblocklist.com/lists.php The lists are always updated so a script or plugin would have to be made I think? I dont know a way to setup the lists any help or ideas would be great I am sick of using NetBarrier and the modded NetBarrier Config File 2.0.1 from 2005

Thanks,

Doc

jEarlZ

Re: Can LS Use Block Lists?

Post by jEarlZ » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:51 pm

This may be what you are looking for if you're not already familiar with the product:

http://phoenixlabs.org/pgosx/

paulc
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by paulc » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:55 pm

Far as I know, PeerGuardian blocks attempts of outside servers to access your machine... LS blocks software on your machine from contacting outside servers.

Tylast

Post by Tylast » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:13 am

Regardless, I'd like this feature too. The ability to stop the packets in/outbound wouldn't be bad. An automated way of updating lists is needed & there is a place to obtain them: http://www.iblocklist.com/ We just need LS to be able to use that resource.

delic

Post by delic » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:20 am

For those of us who don't have the time or tech knowledge to know what to block and what not to block, I believe a list that is built up by users plus explanation of what this or that application is for and what the consequences of blocking or not blocking them are. The More Info features tells us very little.

manfred
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by manfred » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:23 pm

Actually there is a way to add a list of IP-Addresses. If you create a new rule, select »IP Address« and paste a list of IP-Addresses (separated by space or comma) into it.

ball

Post by ball » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:52 pm

I would enjoy PG list support.

1) PG is cumbersome

2) PG can only block the entire machine from an IP range. It cannot differentiate between applications. I want to block some IPs from one app and some IPs from another.

3) Why should I have multiple IP blocking programs?

The best implementation would be a separate category after any, protocol (i.e. port), ip, and ip&port called "IP Range" then possibly another "IP Range&port". LS would load the IP ranges periodically and rules could be made using the new category just like with other categories like IPs.

Additionally, LS could be smart enough to detect if an application is making a new connection within a range and the rule hasn't been made yet (causing the popup window prompt). If the IP is within one (or more?) of the ranges, a 5th(/6th) option would be enabled: "Only IP Range AAA" or "Only IP Range AAA and port 1234 TCP (blah)." This last ability could be overkill. Personally, I would be delighted with IP Range support in the rules window!

PLEASE? :)

ball

Post by ball » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:56 pm

IP List would probably be a better term than IP Range as range may imply only one range of IPs.

Although honestly I don't care what you call it so long the feature is added :)