Heavy incoming traffic not showing up in Network Monitor

General discussions about Little Snitch
jacksnitch

Heavy incoming traffic not showing up in Network Monitor

Post by jacksnitch » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:58 pm

I have MenuMeters installed with network traffic displaying on the menu bar, and at times I am noticing significant incoming traffic -- 500KB and up for several minutes at a time. I actually purchased Snitch to help me figure out what this traffic is.

The problem is: Snitch isn't showing the source of this traffic! In other words, when I see this heavy activity on Menu Meters, I am not seeing equivalent heavy activity on any of the applications listed in the Snitch network monitor.

Any ideas?

neilmcg

Re: Heavy incoming traffic not showing up in Network Monitor

Post by neilmcg » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:55 pm

I think LS is checking outgoing traffic - not incoming (that is the firewall).

paulc
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by paulc » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:00 pm

Set MenuMeter's Network monitor to "Throughput." You'll see Tx (transmit, not covered by LS) and Rx (received, what LS catches) and data in the menubar.

r.giskard
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by r.giskard » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:52 am

Did you enable the option 'Show Local Network Activity' in Little Snitch Network Monitor? By enabling 'Show Local Network Activity' Little Snitch Monitor will also show up network traffic within your local network. MenuMeters can't differ between external (internet) and local traffic.

jacksnitch

Post by jacksnitch » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:40 pm

OK, so I think this problem might have been unique to the WWDC environment, with hundreds of other independent OSX machines on the same network ... bonjour traffic, shares, etc. Is that a possible explanation? Would these OS-level network activities bypass Snitch?

These days, I am generally able to explain Menu Meters throughput numbers with Snitch activity ...

Thanks for the suggestions.

h1d

Post by h1d » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:58 pm

neilmcg wrote:I think LS is checking outgoing traffic - not incoming (that is the firewall).

Is this ignored?